Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I VISA Question

Hello
    I am working in the US under an I VISA. However I have also been asked to work in a small, freelance capacity for a US media organization. Does this potentially jeopardize my I VISA if the immigration department find out? Is it possible that the SSA might inform the immigration department?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

You are trying to hide/lie from the Government... they will catch you.
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

Information

Hi,
      I would like to get some information about the I Visa but based on more your experience.
      I hope you are willing to assist. Let me know.
      Rod

Comment

Hello
        I am working on one of the companies in Ukraine, in the US office. I think everything will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by PraetorianXI View Post
          You are trying to hide/lie from the Government... they will catch you.
          WOW! This person has no clue what he/she is talking about

Comment

Originally posted by KingInk View Post
            Hello
            I am working in the US under an I VISA. However I have also been asked to work in a small, freelance capacity for a US media organization. Does this potentially jeopardize my I VISA if the immigration department find out? Is it possible that the SSA might inform the immigration department?
            Any advice would be appreciated.
            Thanks.
            I'm sorry someone without knowledge replied previously. These type of negative, ignorant comments are very counterproductive (especially for people with non-immigrant visas).

To reply to your question: Yes, you can do this with your visa I, as a freelancer in some instances. I don't see any issue.
            What you cannot do is accept unauthorized employment that reports your SSN to IRS; UNLESS your Social Security Card is unrestricted. More specifically, if your Social Security Card shows this message "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION." This means that you can only work for the Media company that requested a Visa I for you.

However, there are ways to unrestrict your Social Security, so you can accept employment from any employer.

Comment

I am kind of an introvert and i am always feared being interviewed by a stranger. I am scared. I can imagine myself shaking and sweating in front of the Visa Officer.

My years of hardwork and preparation and it all comes down to this 2 minute interview.

Being surrounded by all the visa prep, i wanna take out my mind from all of it and be at peace for some time. The nervousness is messing up my mind.

rapidfs.us
              Last edited by Rosenbaumbv; 09-17-2021, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Your I visa was issued to work for a specific reason/ foreign company..." Media (I) visas are for representatives of the foreign media, including members of the press, radio, film, and print industries, traveling temporarily to the United States to work in their profession engaged in informational or educational media activities, essential to the foreign media function. Activities in the United States while on a media (I) visa must be for a media organization having its home office in a foreign country. Activities in the United States must be informational in nature and generally associated with the news gathering process and reporting on current events." not sure that this requirement could not be clearer...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X