I-Visa/Social Security Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-Visa/Social Security Number

Canadian who has I visa for USA .should the I visa holder has apply for the social security number .

Looking for ward to hear from you
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Did your employer sponsor you to work in the US? If so, you can apply for social security number.
    Immihelp Support

Comment

Thankyou very much for the reply,Since my employer is canadian do i have apply for the social security number in USA.I am doing the tax return here in canada. please clarify

Thankyou
      Immihelp Support

Comment

I don't know the details of your exact arrangements with your employer. But in general, if you are working in USA, you would get paid in US and you would pay taxes in US. And for that, you would need social security number.
        Immihelp Support

Comment

query about i visa stay.

I am from india and now in usa on i visa. Please let me know may i apply for social security number & green card. How long i can work in usa in single strech.

Comment

If you are age 18 or older, you can apply for a social security number in your home country when you apply for an immigrant visa with the U.S. Department of State. The U.S. government will use the same information that you give to apply for an immigrant visa to apply for an SSN.
            Last edited by riderjohn; 02-21-2020, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by immihelp View Post
              Canadian who hasIvisa for USA .should the I visa holder has apply for the social security number .

Looking for ward to hear from you
              Yes, you can. All you need is to fill out form SS-5 and take it to the Social Security Administration Office.
              You'll need to show your Canadian passport, Visa I, I-94 with authorization to be in the country, and a letter of your employer showing that you need the SSN for tax purposes.

Lastly, your Social Security Card might be provided "restricted," by showing the message: "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION." This means that you can accept employment only for the foreign media company that requested Visa I for you.

Although, a restricted SSN doesn't allow to work for any US employer, you can use your SSN for opening bank accounts, build US credit, get a credit card, and other things that require a SSN. Also, there might be ways to unrestrict the Social Security Card as well.
              Last edited by Casebycase; 08-09-2021, 11:03 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X