Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conflict between F1 and DV Lottery. Please help SCARED TO DEATH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflict between F1 and DV Lottery. Please help SCARED TO DEATH!

Hi, so I have applied for the DV lottery last October 2013, and I should be getting the notification of selection this year in May.

Now, I am planning to study in the US on June 2014, AND I am also planning to get an F1 student visa.
    I HAVE NOT yet applied for the F1 visa.
    I also have heard of scary stories about "dual intent" for students applying for green card while on F1.
    I have a few questions.

1. If I am simply IN the lottery registration(whether selected or not), will that mess up my F1 application( because I haven't applied my F1) or prevent me from entering the US?
    2. If I win, should I continue the lottery or will there be a risk of deportation or any other risk because of dual intent?
    3. What exactly IS a dual intent for an F1 student?
    If there is a risk of DV Lottery for an F1, how should I fix the problem so I can reject the DV and still stay on my F1?

There is nothing to worry about. Senate Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill was introduced in April 2013. Students on F-1 no longer have burden to prove they do not have dual intent. I am glad this outdated rule is no longer in use. In any case, DV lottery is not the same as filing for an I-140. You are entered in a database only after you are notified and have accepted the lottery.

All the best

Dr. Sandeep Shankar, Colorado Heights University, Denver, CO 80223, USA.

Originally posted by fritzdean View Post
    Hi, so I have applied for the DV lottery last October 2013, and I should be getting the notification of selection this year in May.

Now, I am planning to study in the US on June 2014, AND I am also planning to get an F1 student visa.
    I also have heard of scary stories about "dual intent" for students applying for green card while on F1.
    I have a few questions.

1. If I am simply IN the lottery registration(whether selected or not), will that mess up my F1 application( because I haven't applied my F1) or prevent me from entering the US?
    2. If I win, should I continue the lottery or will there be a risk of deportation or any other risk because of dual intent?
    If there is a risk of DV Lottery for an F1, how should I fix the problem so I can reject the DV and still stay on my F1?

Comment

[QUOTE=ShankarDada1000;326455]There is nothing to worry about. Senate Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill was introduced in April 2013. Students on F-1 no longer have burden to prove they do not have dual intent. I am glad this outdated rule is no longer in use. In any case, DV lottery is not the same as filing for an I-140. You are entered in a database only after you are notified and have accepted the lottery.

All the best

Wow thank you. I'm relieved. Since the Senate Reform Bill? Wow sorry, I didn't know that before. Okay, thank you so much. I literally have not been sleeping for a couple of days.
      So, if I happen to get accepted in the DV Lottery, I can still continue for further processing? Is there any other risk or anything that I need to know as an F1 student about the AOS?
      Thank you so much for your reply

Comment

How can I officially take part in the lottery?
        Last edited by DsVkont; 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM.

Comment

update please

Can you please update us? Did the F1 visa work out?

Originally posted by fritzdean View Post

I have a few questions.

Comment

Really?

Originally posted by ShankarDada1000 View Post
            There is nothing to worry about. Senate Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill was introduced in April 2013. Students on F-1 no longer have burden to prove they do not have dual intent. I am glad this outdated rule is no longer in use. In any case, DV lottery is not the same as filing for an I-140. You are entered in a database only after you are notified and have accepted the lottery.

All the best

Hi is this a really approved law? I'm in the same condition applied to GC Lottery and got a scholarship from a US university for Phd , I searched on internet but it seems that this law has been not approved. Hopefully I'm wrong. Please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by buddy63 View Post
              Hi is this a really approved law? I'm in the same condition applied to GC Lottery and got a scholarship from a US university for Phd , I searched on internet but it seems that this law has been not approved. Hopefully I'm wrong. Please let me know.
              No, it has not been approved..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X