F1 visa questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 visa questions

Hi, I'm coming from Canada for my graduate degree this summer on F-1 status.

I intend to drive my car across the border to my school. Since US insurance is much cheaper, and Canadian insurance won't cover me beyond 90 days out of province, I will formally import my car and register it in the state I'm studying in. I've already done my homework about compliance and paperwork and have no worries about the car's legality.

I do have a few questions:

1. I can't enter the US more than 30 days before the program start date. If the start date is August 15, does that mean the earliest I can enter is July 16? I'm not sure if it means "30 days between entry and start date exclusive" or "30 days inclusive".

2. If I enter exactly 30 days beforehand, what are the chances of CBP being nasty about this? We all know the horror stories of visitors being accused of attempting to become illegal immigrants... however I do have to find housing so every day counts.

3. Do I need to declare the belongings in the trunk of my car on the CBP 6059B form, since I'm not actually a US resident? If so, do I pay duty? All I'm bringing are the essentials you'd expect the average tourist to pack, such as clothes, a laptop, some stationery, and toiletries.

4. Can I update my Nexus card more than 30 days before the program start date? If not I'll enter via the regular lanes, then update my Nexus after I settle in.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by DrPsyche
    The membership should be renewed 90 days prior to the NEXUS card expiry date. Yes, you have 30 days to schedule an interview for a NEXUS card renewal at an enrollment center. An application processing fee is $50. To get prepared for an interview, you can be asked to pay for essay answers and instructions for visa interview questions, but the bulk of websites have them for free.
    thanks for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by DrPsyche
      The membership should be renewed 90 days prior to the NEXUS card expiry date. Yes, you have 30 days to schedule an interview for a NEXUS card renewal at an enrollment center. An application processing fee is $50. To get prepared for an interview, you can be asked to pay for essay answers and instructions for visa interview questions, but the bulk of websites have them for free.
      Do you know if Nexus interviews are still taking place? It seems like all the enrolment centres for Nexus (not just Global Entry) are closed due to covid in both Canada and US. Is it still worth filling out an application anyways and just waiting until things re-open? There isn’t a lot of info out there regarding what’s happening with the Nexus program for new applicants.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X