Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Visa for GC fiance/spouse

Hi,

I am a GC holder and planning to get married this summer. My fiance got an admission offer from a University and going to apply for F1 visa. As she got partial scholarship, I am going to finance the rest. I need some help clarifying the following:
    - F1 is a non-immigrant intent visa, so should she mention that her fiance is in US on GC?
    - Can she show my bank account/pay-stub as her source of funding?
    - Or should I transfer the money to her India bank account to show it as her liquid asset?
    - Can a F1 student show funding coming from non-relatives in US?

Is/Was anyone else in similar situation. What did you do? Please help/advice.
    -Chandan

Originally posted by aerodon View Post
    Hi,

I am a GC holder and planning to get married this summer. My fiance got an admission offer from a University and going to apply for F1 visa. As she got partial scholarship, I am going to finance the rest. I need some help clarifying the following:
    - F1 is a non-immigrant intent visa, so should she mention that her fiance is in US on GC?
    - Can she show my bank account/pay-stub as her source of funding?
    - Or should I transfer the money to her India bank account to show it as her liquid asset?
    - Can a F1 student show funding coming from non-relatives in US?

Is/Was anyone else in similar situation. What did you do? Please help/advice.
    -Chandan
    Your GC would definitely be a negative mark against your fiancee's FI visa application.
    Transferring funds to her in India is also fraught with difficulties in the sense that she might be asked to show the source of this sudden influx of money, which would nullify the purpose of this course of action.
    Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

On one hand, she can apply for an F-1 visa immediately, but for most applicants it is a long shot. She is not a bona fide non-immigrant, so if consular officials do their job right she won't get a visa

On the other hand, she can't immigrate as a permanent resident until two years after you both marry and apply, but for most applicants it is a slam-dunk

It stands to reason that she should make her best attempt at obtaining an F-1 visa, knowing that in the worst case she'll be waiting the two years for an immigrant visa

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X