DS-160 Work / Employment etc information for gap years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS-160 Work / Employment etc information for gap years

I am applying for F1 visa for MS (Graduate Studies) and I completed my Undergraduate degree from my home country in 2016. Since then I have a sole proprietorship firm in my home country (I registered it after completing undergraduate degree) but I don't go to the office and it has never earned anything (Zero sales). It is just a registered sole proprietorship. Will this be considered employment? or should i write 'unemployed'. PS: I don't even pay taxes as I never earned a dime.

Also, will this create any problem for my visa?

Just my opinion but... just write unemployed. Even if the sole proprietorship is active, you're certainly not working there and have no traits associated with having a job (going to work, income, taxes, etc.).

Comment

thank you! I am considering closing down the company before visa appointment. In that case, I'm actually unemployed. However I might need to mention my past work etc.
      Do you think this small thing is a problem?

Comment

Nah, it seems like non-issue. Nothing to worry about. If you don't close it and if it does come up during interview, you can say that you intend to come back and start it back up (shows ties to home country!).

Which university are you going to? PM me if you have questions in relation to grad school in the US.

Comment

Mogu Please check DM. Thank you!

Comment

Hi,

Since you are not earning and paying taxes on paper, I think mentioning unemployed should not be an issue.

Comment

Sandra_James Thank you for your response. Yes but if I shut down my company, do i still need to mention it under past work?

Comment

Originally posted by aks10 View Post
                Mogu Please check DM. Thank you!
                You never worked for that company. It was theoretical approval... a license to operate. But you never did anything. So no need to bother with reporting that as employment - current or past.

Comment

Tell as it is. Unemployed.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X