STEM extension denied after OPT expiration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STEM extension denied after OPT expiration

Hi! I am currently on my F1 visa and eligible for STEM extension. My OPT expired on 29th May 2019. I did send my application for STEM extension to USCIS on 16th May 2019, USICS issued me I797 which gave me a case number, the receipt reflected that my balance due was $ 0.00. However, since no money had been taken out of my bank account, I called up USCIS to confirm if they did receive my payment, to which the representatives answered I shouldn't be worried since the receipt mentions no balance due and if there is anything needed on my part, USCIS will issue a RFE (since I already have a case status). On June 5, I received a Notice of Rejection from USCIS stating that my application was denied since due to payment failure and I should submit a completely new application to use the benefit. My concern is since I am out of the application window, USCIS might straight away deny my new application without taking into account any history of the previous application which was made in time.

For now, I have reached out to an attorney, based on her suggestion we submit a new application, along with a copy of Notice of rejection and 1797 and a cover letter explaining the whole scenario, basically asking for reconsideration. I would like to connect with people who have faced similar situations and open to any suggestions and alternatives to extend my stay in the US.

Thank you!

Hi,

I have run into a very similar situation. And I have taken the same steps which you have taken. Do you have any updates on your application?

Comment

About STEM extension denied after OPT expiration

Hi did you hear back any good news from USCIS? I refiled my STEM OPT after my EAD expired with an attorney too.

Please let me know. Your help is highly appreciated.
      Last edited by ceci1073; 08-25-2020, 02:49 PM. Reason: link

Comment

Hi, any update on your cases. Would appreciate if you can share your experiences. Thank you

Comment

Dears any update regarding your case as I am in a very much similar position. Please, reply and let us know. Thank you so much.

Comment

Hi ManilaKambo, mmb1996 any updates regarding your applications? I got a denial notice today and my STEM OPT has expired. Would like to learn if reapplying would be the right course of action

Comment

I am going through the same situation! I just went for the i290b and reinstatement of F1 as I transferred my sevis to different school.

Comment

Hi, did you guys have any update on these situations? I'm very much in the same spot.

Comment

Hi,

I faced the same situation, however, my MTR (Motion to Reconsider) my case was denied after 5 months. Did it work out for you guys?

Comment

Hello sahithya,

I am in similar boat.
                    Last edited by immihelp; 07-08-2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X