Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is my status? (received green card based EAD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is my status? (received green card based EAD)

Hi,

I came here in the US in Jan 2016 on F1 visa, graduated with a Masters degree in August 2017. Initially I was on F1-OPT then Stem-OPT. In December 2019 I applied for a family based green card, along with i130, i765 and i131.
    Recently I received my new EAD based on Green Card. I wanted to know am I still on F1-visa? Also, what should be the next step regarding updating my university, updating SSN card(not sure what), etc

Thanks

EAD's are issued based on an underlying I-485. So you can work anywhere as long as the EAD is valid and the I-485 is pending.
    Be sure to renew your EAD 6 months before it expires so you can continue working. You cannot work on an expired EAD (while the extension is pending)

You can just let your Univ know you have a family based petition and EAD

No need to update SSN card yet. Once you receive your Greencard, you can go to the SSN office and have them update your records. You will then receive a new SSN (without "restricted authorization") in the mail.
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R78 View Post
      You cannot work on an expired EAD (while the extension is pending)
      You actually can work on an expired EAD for certain kinds of EAD (including AOS-based ones) for 180 days after the EAD's expiration provided that you applied for renewal before the EAD expired.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Many thanks for prompt response R78 and newacct - much appreciated.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X