Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA


No announcement yet.

Any Canadians that converted from H4 to F1 Visa?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any Canadians that converted from H4 to F1 Visa?

    Hello Friends,

    I would like to know if any Canadian citizens had experience converting from H4 to F1 visa.

    My daughter is born Canadian, and we, the parents, are born Indian but Canadian citizens. I am currently on H1B, and my daughter is on H4. We are still waiting on Green Card. She is 19 and will be 21 in May 2022. She is attending U.C.'s as a junior on an H4 visa to keep the tuition as in-state. I plan to keep her on H4 as long as possible until Spring 2022 and convert to F1-visa so I can get away with in-state tuition fees.

    I have a few questions on conversion from H4 to F1.
    1. Does anyone foresee any issue delaying conversion from H4 to F1 until Spring 2022?
    2. Does she need to cross the border to convert from H4 to F1 while the below documentation says she may not need to?
    3. She plans to join medicine after her undergrad. So there will be a summer holiday gap, and she will be above 21. I am assuming she will have to leave the country after undergrad course. Some one suggested to sign her up for some summer courses to continue her stay in the USA before joining another medical university. I am looking for any suggestions here if I should be watchful of anything.
    4. We just got our EB2 dates current as of the October 2020 bulletin, which is a significant relief. My lawyer is planning to submit an I-485 adjustment of status by October 2020. Does applying to I-485 mean anything to my daughter? Let's say If I don't get a green card or even EAD before she turns 21, will my daughter still be eligible for a green card through my application after turning 21?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for reading my post

    Currently, the U.S. embassy documentation says

    "Canadian citizens do not need visas to study or participate in an exchange program in the U.S. However, Canadian students need to obtain an I-20 (or DS-2019) Certificate of Eligibility from the university, school, or exchange program they plan to attend. Upon receipt of the I-20 (or DS-2019), the student will be registered with SEVIS, the student tracking system will be assigned a SEVIS number, and will be required to pay a registration fee. When crossing the border to begin their study or exchange program in the United States, the student will need to provide the Officer at the port of entry."