Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i enter USA with canadian citizenship card

Hi

I recently become canadian citizen. Originally i am indian citizen on H1 Visa.
    Once after citizenship oath my original indian passport would become invalid.
    it takes two weeks to get the canadian passport. in the mean time to enter US can i use my canadian citizenship card without passport.

thanks

I've entered US on numerous occasions with a Citizenship card, but that was before 9/11. Not sure about now though.

Seeing that the passport is based on the Citizenship card (and get this.. if they spelled your Canadian drivers' name wrong through no fault of your own and you want them to change it, they will only change it based on your Citizenship card as the Canadian passport is "not a valid documentation!"), I don't see why they wouldn't; but don't take my word for it. Always verify with the appropriate authorities - US Customs.

Since you mentioned H1, I'm assuming that you want to re-enter to work? Otherwise, it's a non-issue. I'd simply explain to border guard that you are awaiting issuance of your Canadian passport. I've even travelled on an expired passport! I simply told the border guard that I'm waiting for my renewal and showed them my receipt (payment for new passport).
    Last edited by cestmoi; 07-29-2008, 06:25 PM.

Comment

If you're a Canadian citizen ...

... you can visit United States without any other visa requirements.

You do need your Canadian passport and any other citizenship proof that you may have been given.

You will not be allowed to enter US without a passport. Now, things are really different if you're white and can argue and fight at the border. I've seen these guys argue and scream at the US border patrol and they're let in!

However, if you're from any other race, don't even think about it.

I'm sorry, I usually don't write such remarks, but this is sadly true.

Good luck.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X