TN Laid-off - Unemployment Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN Laid-off - Unemployment Benefits

After being working for 2 years in my company under TN VISA, I was laid off. My employer told me that I can apply to unemployment benefits and/or receive the federal help due to the COVID-19. Although this money can help a lot, I am really concerned that accepting this money will affect future TN Visa/greencard/citizenship applications. Any comments?

On form DS-5540 it says:

11. For purposes of this form, a public benefit means any of the following forms of assistance received on or after February 24, 2020: 1) Any Federal, state, local, or tribal cash assistance for income maintenance, including supplemental security income (SSI) and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF); 2) Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP); 3) Housing Choice Voucher Program; 4) Project-Based Rental Assistance (including Moderate Rehabilitation); 5) Subsidized Housing; or 6) Medicaid, except for benefits received for an emergency medical condition, services or benefits funded by Medicaid but provided under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), school-based services or benefits provided to individuals of secondary school age, benefits received by an alien under 21 years of age, or benefits received by a woman during pregnancy or during the 60-day period beginning on the last day of the pregnancy.

Comment

Originally posted by ceestradaperez View Post
      After being working for 2 years in my company under TN VISA, I was laid off. My employer told me that I can apply to unemployment benefits and/or receive the federal help due to the COVID-19. Although this money can help a lot, I am really concerned that accepting this money will affect future TN Visa/greencard/citizenship applications. Any comments?
      You are not eligible for unemployment benefits while you are in the US because in TN status you are not authorized to work for any employer other than the one you got TN for. If you are a Canadian citizen, you can go back to Canada and receive the unemployment benefits from the US state where you worked.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X