• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN Visa at land crossing

Question from US authorities perspective
    --------------------------
    Is the US CBP issuing a new TN Visa ?
    Is this considered essential travel ?
    Is there any preferred POE(Point of Entry) from the list of designated POEs for TN processing during COVID time?
    Some blogs have mentioned that POEs have started the appointment process for on arrival TN processing. Anyone with info about this ?

Question from Canada authorities perspective
    -------------------------------
    I am a Candian citizen currently in the US. I am planning to flagpole, i.e. travel from the U.S. into Canada solely for the purposes of applying for TN status. Whether I should complete Covid testing prior to entering Canada and/or if I will be subject to quarantine ?
    What things do I need to do before entering Canada ?

-------------------------------
    Anyone with similar experiences in the last 2-3 months would help me plan better.

Thanks in advance.

Canadians can apply for TN visas at US land borders. The process is very similar to applying at an airport in the US or through pre-flight clearance, as you must be requesting entry to the US.​ FMC4ME PeopleSoft Login
    Last edited by Charliegill; 10-20-2022, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Can We have to do anything or What documents do you need for TN visa?
      Last edited by immihelp; 02-13-2023, 01:12 PM.

Comment

A TN (Trade NAFTA) visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows Canadian and Mexican citizens to work in the United States under certain professional categories. If you are a Canadian or Mexican citizen and wish to apply for a TN visa at a land crossing, you can do so by following these steps:
        1. Prepare all necessary documents: You will need to have a job offer letter, educational credentials, and any necessary licenses or certifications to demonstrate that you qualify for the TN visa. Additionally, you will need to bring your passport and any other supporting documents.
        2. Choose a land border crossing: Not all land border crossings are authorized to process TN visa applications, so it is important to check in advance which crossings are authorized to do so. You can find a list of authorized ports of entry on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website.
        3. Present yourself at the port of entry: When you arrive at the port of entry, you will need to inform the CBP officer that you are applying for a TN visa. You will be directed to the appropriate office, where you will present your documents and have an interview with a CBP officer.
        4. Pay the application fee: There is a fee for the TN visa application, which can be paid in cash or by credit card at the port of entry.
        5. Wait for a decision: The CBP officer will review your application and make a decision on the spot. If approved, you will be given a TN visa stamp in your passport, which will allow you to enter the United States and work for the specified employer and period of time.

It is important to note that while TN visa applications can be processed at land border crossings, it is recommended to apply at a consulate or embassy if possible, as the process may be more efficient and there may be fewer delays or complications.

Comment

[QUOTE=Janey112;n795724]A TN (Trade NAFTA) visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows Canadian and Mexican citizens to work in the United States under certain professional categories. If you are a Canadian or Mexican citizen and wish to apply for a TN visa at a land crossing, you can do so by following these steps:
          1. Prepare all necessary documents: You will need to have a job offer letter, educational credentials, and any necessary licenses or certifications to demonstrate that you qualify for the TN visa. Additionally, you will need to bring your passport and any other supporting documents.
          2. Choose a land border crossing: Not all land border crossings are authorized to process TN visa applications, so it is important to check in advance which crossings are authorized to do so. You can find a list of authorized ports of entry on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website.
          3. Present yourself at the port of entry: When you arrive at the port of entry, you will need to inform the CBP officer that you are applying for a TN visa. You will be directed to the appropriate office, where you will present your documents and have an interview with a CBP officer.
          4. Pay the application fee: There is a fee for the TN visa application, which can be paid in cash or by credit card at the port of entry.
          5. Wait for a decision: The CBP officer will review your application and make a decision on the spot. If approved, you will be given a TN visa stamp in your passport, which will allow you to enter the United States and work for the specified employer and period of time.

It is important to note that while TN visa applications can be processed at land border crossings, it is recommended to apply at a consulate or embassy if possible, as the process may be more efficient and there may be fewer delays or complications.

Was this written by ChatGPT? It is confusing many things. A US "visa" can never be obtained at a port of entry, and can only be obtained at a US consulate. Canadian citizens do not need visas to seek entry to the US as nonimmigrants, so they can just present themselves at a port of entry with the necessary documents. There is no "recommendation" for Canadian citizens to apply for a visa at a consulate; it would be almost entirely pointless. On the other hand, Mexican citizens need visas to seek entry to the US, so Mexican citizens must apply for a visa at a consulate, and then use that to enter the US.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X