No announcement yet.

URGENT: Anyone travelled from US to India via London? - transit visa question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT: Anyone travelled from US to India via London? - transit visa question

I am travelling from USA to India via British Airways (2 hours stopover in London) 2 weeks from now. My current H1 visa has expired, and I plan to get visa stamping done in India before I return to US.

Since I have already booked the British Airways flight recently (and it is non refundable), my question is this:

I see that as per UK Border Security website I am exempt from DATV transit visa only if I have a "1) a valid entry visa for Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, and a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK, as part of a journey to or from one of those countries; or":

1) Since I am going to my home country (Indian citizen) for my stamping, and have a valid I-797 and I-94, do they really still mandate people to have a valid US visa to travel to India?

2) I also have a B1 visa stamp which is valid till 2015. I am assuming that if they really want this, I can show them that B1 visa stamp to meet the requirement? They shouldn't care to see if I was in US long enough to be on H1 versus B1 - they should only care that I have a valid US visa stamp. Thoughts? Did anyone use this to success?

3) Who is really checking for this visa requirement? Is it only that British Airways will verify that I have valid visa before they let me board the plane from US, or would UK Border Security also verify it in London? Since my stopover in London is less than 2 hours, and connecting flight is from the same terminal, I can't imagine they would have time to do additional checks at London (besides standard security / boarding process) for the flight connection to really work.

Please let me know your thoughts urgently. If you are not sure, or haven't done this, please state that you are not sure to avoid confusion. I really don't want to go through the DATV process with just 2 weeks left for my travel.
    Last edited by laguy79; 09-15-2013, 01:15 PM.

How did it go with you ?

I have the same problem. my F1 visa is valid till 2015 and I am on h1b status now. Did you have any problems ?

Comment

Same situation please let me know

Hi,

How did you manage this, please let me know, I am in same situation.

Comment

Transit to India via London, UK from Toronto, Canada

Friends, I am Permanent resident of Canada but still waiting for my PR card. There are some issues while processing my PR card and it has been delayed. I am travelling from Toronto to Mumbai via London. Can I transit from Toronto to Mumbai via London without a Canadian Permanent Resident Card but with a valid US visitor visa?

Please Please help!!!

Comment

Dtav

Originally posted by laguy79 View Post
          I am travelling from USA to India via British Airways (2 hours stopover in London) 2 weeks from now. My current H1 visa has expired, and I plan to get visa stamping done in India before I return to US.

Since I have already booked the British Airways flight recently (and it is non refundable), my question is this:

I see that as per UK Border Security website I am exempt from DATV transit visa only if I have a "1) a valid entry visa for Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, and a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK, as part of a journey to or from one of those countries; or":

1) Since I am going to my home country (Indian citizen) for my stamping, and have a valid I-797 and I-94, do they really still mandate people to have a valid US visa to travel to India?

2) I also have a B1 visa stamp which is valid till 2015. I am assuming that if they really want this, I can show them that B1 visa stamp to meet the requirement? They shouldn't care to see if I was in US long enough to be on H1 versus B1 - they should only care that I have a valid US visa stamp. Thoughts? Did anyone use this to success?

3) Who is really checking for this visa requirement? Is it only that British Airways will verify that I have valid visa before they let me board the plane from US, or would UK Border Security also verify it in London? Since my stopover in London is less than 2 hours, and connecting flight is from the same terminal, I can't imagine they would have time to do additional checks at London (besides standard security / boarding process) for the flight connection to really work.

Please let me know your thoughts urgently. If you are not sure, or haven't done this, please state that you are not sure to avoid confusion. I really don't want to go through the DATV process with just 2 weeks left for my travel.
          Hello,

So finally did you get a transit visa or a valid B1 was able to suffice. Please help.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by manojmglh View Post
          Hi,

How did you manage this, please let me know, I am in same situation.
          Hello,

PLease help how did you manage. Do we need a transit visa if having a valid B1 even though work visa is expired?

Thanks

Comment

Who is really checking for this visa requirement? Is it only that British Airways will verify that I have valid visa before they let me board the plane from US, or would UK Border Security also verify it in London? Since my stopover in London is less than 2 hours, and connecting flight is from the same terminal, I can't imagine they would have time to do additional checks at London (besides standard security / boarding process) for the flight connection to really work.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X