Can i move out of airport with transit visa in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i move out of airport with transit visa in US

I'm a Nepalese citizen with Nepali Passport. I'm planning to travel to Mexico in end of July to attend a seminar. The tickets sent to me by my sponsors has transit in USA (Houston). During my return from mexico, I'm planning to visit my relatives in Texas and planning to stay in Texas for ten days. With transit visa will i be allowed to move out of airport and visit my relatives or not ?

What I have understood through the second paragraph of the below given page of your website is with a transit visa one can stay upto maximum of 29 days. Am i right or wrong ?

I'm in confusion. Please help me. Whether i can stay with my relatives for 10 days in US with transit visa or not..........???????
    Thanks

You have to apply for a B2 visa. I don't think you can use the transit visa for the purpose that you want to. If you were on a merchant navy ship, then you could use the transit visa for your purpose of visiting family while the ship is docked.

As per the website,
    About Transit Travel

If the traveler is a passenger embarking at a foreign port on a cruise ship or other vessel which is proceeding to a foreign destination other than the United States, and during the course of the journey, the vessel makes port in the United States, with no intention of landing in the United States, a transit visa or other nonimmigrant visa is required.
    If the traveler seeks layover privileges for purposes other than for transit through the United States, such as to visit friends or for sightseeing, the applicant will have to qualify for the type of visa required for that purpose, such as a B-2 visa.
    A crewperson traveling to the United States as a passenger to join a ship or aircraft would require a transit visa.
    A foreign traveler proceeding in immediate and continuous transit through the United States to or from the United Nations Headquarters District, under provisions of the Headquarters agreement with the United Nations, would require a diplomatic transit (C-2) visa and have certain restrictions on travel within the United States.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X