Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS-160: What occupation for retired teacher

Dear Experts:

Please advise what should I write as occupation on DS-160 (and mention during the interview) for the Mother-in-law's Visitor (B2) visa. She is retired as school teacher and earns income from pension, private tuitions, rent and FD interest.

Should it be just 'retired' or 'education' with employer as 'self-employed' or 'other' with details in the responsibilities?

During last attempt - which was rejected for 214-B, we had just written retired. If we change it to 'education' or 'other', what will be typical questions due to this change?

It should be retired.
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by amrika View Post
      It should be retired.
      Thank you for your input. Isn't that chances of getting visitor visa become less for 'retired' person when no other significant ties (apart from immovable property) with home country can be established?

Will it be a problem if we mention the occupation as 'Other' and describe modes of income as self-employed private tuitions + pension + interest/rent, etc.? However, since the tuitions are private, conducted at home, there isn't any proof.

Comment

Yes, but you have to be truthful.

Pension, interest/rent etc. are not professions.

If tuitions are private, conducted at home, you can show the proof of that income. If all of that money is collected in cash, and no taxes are filed, then that income does not exist.
        Immihelp Support
        No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Originally posted by immihelp View Post
          Yes, but you have to be truthful.

Pension, interest/rent etc. are not professions.

If tuitions are private, conducted at home, you can show the proof of that income. If all of that money is collected in cash, and no taxes are filed, then that income does not exist.
          Got it. Thank you very much for the inputs.

Comment

I am confuse between Self Employed and Other.

I am sure don't select Education or Retired (Truth) get rejection whether Government pension is around 2.5Lacs/year and family tie-up in India.

I agree with amrika "Pension, interest/rent etc. are not professions."

Comment

Originally posted by Helpfulhands View Post
              I am confuse between Self Employed and Other.

I am sure don't select Education or Retired (Truth) get rejection whether Government pension is around 2.5Lacs/year and family tie-up in India.

I agree with amrika "Pension, interest/rent etc. are not professions."
              I'll have to select 'Retired' as there is no proof of self-employed profession (private tuition) viz. fee receipts, tax returns, etc.

Comment

B2 visitor visa

My name is Sudha. I am a widow. I have 2 daughters. Both stay in US.My younger daughter is doing her masters.
                I am working in hyderabad in a private company. take of my fathr. he is 77yrs old and retired and my mom expired 2yrs back.
                I have attended interview for visitors visa on feb 7th and got rejected. My son in law sponsored me .He is a US citizen.
                Now i want to try again and this time i want to apply as a self sponser for myself.
                Please let me know what are the required documents and procedure for that.
                Please help me and suggest me.

Thanks
                Sudha

Comment

Originally posted by sudha.isola65 View Post
                  My name is Sudha. I am a widow. I have 2 daughters. Both stay in US.My younger daughter is doing her masters.
                  I am working in hyderabad in a private company. take of my fathr. he is 77yrs old and retired and my mom expired 2yrs back.
                  I have attended interview for visitors visa on feb 7th and got rejected. My son in law sponsored me .He is a US citizen.
                  Now i want to try again and this time i want to apply as a self sponser for myself.
                  Please let me know what are the required documents and procedure for that.
                  Please help me and suggest me.

Thanks
                  Sudha
                  Please create separate thread for your query. The admins and senior members here are very helpful. They may not notice your post on this older thread with different title.

Comment

Originally posted by eski View Post
                    I'll have to select 'Retired' as there is no proof of self-employed profession (private tuition) viz. fee receipts, tax returns, etc.
                    Hi,

Could you please let me know if your mother-in-law's visa was approved? and if yes, did you just mention retired (or) did you enter any other information?

Thanks!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X