Booking a return ticket just before 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booking a return ticket just before 6 months

Hi, I have received a B1/B2 visa for 10 years. I would like to visit friends and family in the US and be there for 6 months as a tourist. Is it okay if I book my return ticket a week before 6 months expire? Will it have any impact at the POE for immigration if I show my return tickets showing this long stay or is it better to book the return say after 3 months?

That should be fine.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph.A View Post
      Hi, I have received a B1/B2 visa for 10 years. I would like to visit friends and family in the US and be there for 6 months as a tourist. Is it okay if I book my return ticket a week before 6 months expire? Will it have any impact at the POE for immigration if I show my return tickets showing this long stay or is it better to book the return say after 3 months?
      Hello, Joseph.

My personal opinion, while visitors are generally granted 6 months stay, by default, i feel it would not be the best thing to mention it to the officer at Port of Entry. If you are a retired person in middle age, i.e.: Like a mother going to meet her daughter, then you might be ok mentioning at the Port of Entry that you would stay 6 months. I would still not want to disclose 6 months stay at the Port of Entry.

Further, if you are a relatively young person, i am not sure, how it might be viewed.

You can take a 2-3 month return ticket, and then have the date moved to 6 months, after you have entered US. It does not cost too much. I did it with Emirates, and they charged me $80 for change in ticket.

I personally feel, this is safer. You might also do fine by mentioning that you intend to stay for 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,
      These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nattybone View Post
        Hello, Joseph.

My personal opinion, while visitors are generally granted 6 months stay, by default, i feel it would not be the best thing to mention it to the officer at Port of Entry. If you are a retired person in middle age, i.e.: Like a mother going to meet her daughter, then you might be ok mentioning at the Port of Entry that you would stay 6 months. I would still not want to disclose 6 months stay at the Port of Entry.

Further, if you are a relatively young person, i am not sure, how it might be viewed.

You can take a 2-3 month return ticket, and then have the date moved to 6 months, after you have entered US. It does not cost too much. I did it with Emirates, and they charged me $80 for change in ticket.

I personally feel, this is safer. You might also do fine by mentioning that you intend to stay for 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,
        Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I'm 29, is there anybody who has booked a return ticket close to 6 months for the B1/B2 and not had a problem? I would really like to book once and for all and not have to change dates later so just wondering if this would be okay. Thanks.

Comment

Of course you can return within 6 months. The shorter your stay, the better for you anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph.A View Post
            Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I'm 29, is there anybody who has booked a return ticket close to 6 months for the B1/B2 and not had a problem? I would really like to book once and for all and not have to change dates later so just wondering if this would be okay. Thanks.
            Hello, Joseph.

Changing the ticket is not a hassle at all. It is eventually your decision, my friend. I personally like to exercise caution, so that is all.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,
            These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Thanks a lot for this thread, I found a lot of useful information here.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X