Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• summer college project/training on B1/B2 visa

hi All,

Thanks a lot in advance. My sister is doing fashion designing course from NIFT, India. So for her 2 months college vacation she wants to pursue an unpaid summer project here in USA.
    She already has a visa with type: R/B1/B2 valid until December 2015.

Can she come here as tourist, stay with me and meanwhile also do the project in any knitwear manufacturing company?

thanks again,
    H1BAspirant

B1/B2 allows study/training for short recreational purpose only and you cannot be coming for that purpose only. If you are touring casually , you may do some short study ( like a 2 day cooking class) or one week sewing class.
    In her case a regular 2 mo nth unpaid knitting work would not be allowed under B1/B2. I think she will need a J-1 as there is no other visa for it. Talk to an attorney before
    starting such work.

Comment

i saw the requirements for J1 visa also, it says you need a degree. But she doesnt have a degree yet. She will get her degree in 2015. So J1 is definitely not the right visa for her.
      I appreciate if you could let us know which visa category to look into.

Thanks

Comment

no other visa category.

9 FAM 41.31 N10.4-2 Business or Other Professional or
        Vocational Activities
        (CT:VISA-701; 02-15-2005)
        An alien who is coming to the United States merely and exclusively to observe the
        conduct of business or other professional or vocational activity may be classified
        B-1, provided the alien pays for his or her own expenses. However, aliens, often
        students, who seek to gain practical experience through on-the-job training or
        clerkships must qualify under INA 101(a)(15)(H) or (L), or when an appropriate
        exchange visitors program exists (J).

Talk to an attorney , she may qualify under B1. For H, L or J , she will require a degree.

Comment

Thanks a lot. just 1 more question. She already has B1/B2 visa stamped on her passport as these 2 classes are often provided together. So, does that mean she will not need to do anything else right? She can just arrive in the US as a tourist and pursue the summer project?

Thanks a lot again.

Comment

One gets a status stamped on one's passport ( either B1 or B2, never both) depending on one's stated purpose at the airport.
            So, if she says she is a tourist ,she will get a B2 stamp and then she cannot engage in any B1 activities . If she says she is here to do this unpaid observership
            she will get a B1 stamp. But remember not all officers are exactly familiar with every clause , and they are especially sensitive to people
            mentioning work when entering on B1 and can cancel the visa in such a situation.The best is for her to enter as a tourist(B2)
            and then get it changed to B1 inside US with the help of an attorney ( may cost some money but it is a much safer option).

Comment

Thanks a lot. I will talk to attorney about changing the status.
              Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by neha1312 View Post
                hi All,

Thanks a lot in advance. My sister is doing fashion designing course from NIFT, India. So for her 2 months college vacation she wants to pursue an unpaid summer project here in USA.

Can she come here as tourist, stay with me and meanwhile also do the project in any knitwear manufacturing company?

thanks again,
                H1BAspirant
                It is very convenient to be a student, one gets visa! Yes, you can , the U.S. nonimmigrant visa Type B1/B2 is a temporary visa for business and tourism.If you are traveling to America as a tourist, you will want a B2 Visa.

Comment

Originally posted by neha1312 View Post
                  hi All,

thanks again,
                  H1BAspirant
                  B1/B2 allows study or training for short recreational purposes only, you cannot do it just for the sake of doing it. If you're taking courses here casually, you can do some short training activities like a 2-day cooking class or a week-long sewing class.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X