Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling to Canada from US while on b1/b2 visa

Hello,

I have a question on travels to Canada during visits in the US on b1/b2 visa and I wonder if anyone can offer my any advice. My mother has a multiple entry b1/b2 visa that's still valid for few years. She plans to come to the US to visit me on April 15, 2015 and we expect that she will be given a 6-month time of stay in the US, which will supposed to be October 15, 2015. However, in June 2015 (during her stay in the US) she would like to travel to Canada to visit a relative and stay for 1.5-2 months, and then come back to the US. My question is, when she comes back how long can she stay in the US this time from re-entry from Canada? Is it still by October 15, 2015? or could it be another 6-month permission from the day she enters the US from Canada? Our goal is maximize her stay in the US, so are there any adjustments we could make (such as increasing or decreasing her length of stay in Canada, or else) so she could possibly gain a longer period of stay after when she comes back from Canada?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Irene

She wouldn't get new i94, when she re-enters from Canada and the same old date is valid.

Not recommended to go for extension unless it's very necessary.

This is my opinion, not a legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ideal sol View Post
      She wouldn't get new i94, when she re-enters from Canada and the same old date is valid.

Not recommended to go for extension unless it's very necessary.

Thank you Ideal sol, what if she leaves for a country that is not Mexico/Canada and stay there for two weeks, like taking tour and come back. If so, when she comes back will she get another 6-month? Thanks.

Comment

They may warn/deny entry or allow for a short stay but I doubt, if they will give her 6 months of stay again.

Last edited by Ideal sol; 02-05-2015, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ideal sol View Post
          Not sure about new i94 but they may warn/deny entry or allow for a short stay but I doubt, if they will give her 6 months of stay again.

The I-94 would most probably not be extended by another 6 Months. And best case even if she does manage to get 6 Months I-94, it would not appear nice in her subsequent visit. As she would have stayed for 1 Year in US, and more than 1 Year outside US, pointing to weaker ties back home.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X