Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourist visa and looking for a USA Job

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I cannot seem to find an answer for.

A buddy of mine has a 5 year tourist visa with some years to go. He is looking to come to the USA for vacations and asked me if I know if he would be able to enter for tourist purposes without any issue. He then told me that he has applied to some jobs online and has sent some resumes and cover letters to some recruiters. He told me that he has always told the employers that he is not allowed to work in the USA and would need a work visa. He told me that he does not have any interviews or anything and wants to come only for tourism purposes. He is worried that he would not be able to enter as a tourist, because officers at the border will know, somehow, that he is looking for job here. I told him that I do not think there would be an issues. I saw that it is only unlawful to work in the USA with a tourist visa and that there would be an issue if the officer sees that you have material samples, tools, resumes, cover letters or whatever, that implies that you are going to go for an interview or work. I did not find a lot of information about visiting the USA while looking for a job here. I just found that going to interviews or work while on a tourist visa is illegal, but nothing about immigration banning someone from the country for vacationing while looking for a legal way to work in the USA.

Any help clarifying this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Why he needs to bring printed resumes, cover letters and other similar material when visiting USA? Can't he print all that after he is already here.

Working on tourist visa is not allowed.

However, that does not mean that the person can't come to the US on tourist visa for tourism purposes only, and after seeing so good country, he changes his mind and decides to apply to work in the US and starts attending the interviews.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

It is not against the law to come to the US to look for or be interviewed for a job...it is against our laws to do as drewestin did....working with a tourist visa.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X