Nephew with mother-in-law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nephew with mother-in-law

I am applying for my mother-in-law's visitor visa. My nephew, my brother-in-law's son, is three years old. Can he be an accompanying minor with her grandmother to her US visit? Do I need to submit a separate application or do I just put him name under accompanying minors? Do you think adding his name might affect my mother-in-law's application in any way?

Originally posted by farazs1 View Post
    I am applying for my mother-in-law's visitor visa. My nephew, my brother-in-law's son, is three years old. Can he be an accompanying minor with her grandmother to her US visit? Do I need to submit a separate application or do I just put him name under accompanying minors? Do you think adding his name might affect my mother-in-law's application in any way?
    There are various other factors also need to be considered.

Who is sponsoring?
    Is she applying alone? Why not with her husband? Inviting single parent reduces chances of visa-as they are treated as dependent potential immigrant.

Since MIL?s visa itself is risky, inviting a 3 year old nephew along will add more risk to it.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
      There are various other factors also need to be considered.

Who is sponsoring?
      Is she applying alone? Why not with her husband? Inviting single parent reduces chances of visa-as they are treated as dependent potential immigrant.

Since MIL?s visa itself is risky, inviting a 3 year old nephew along will add more risk to it.
      I am sponsoring. FIL already has US visa. MIL had US visa previously. She visited her sister-in-law with her father-in-law (so SIL could meet her father after a decade). She came and left within her permitted time. That visa has expired now. Now that her own daughter is here. She wants to visit her. Once she gets the visa, she will come here with her husband just to visit. Besides she has other kids back home that are not married so she has to go back to arrange their marriages and care for grandkids and her own 80+ YO father.

Nephew is 3 YO and insists on visiting her aunt (my wife) whenever we call him. I don't want to jeopardize MIL's visa application if adding him makes it difficult. I could apply for him later if MIL gets her's.

Comment

I am sponsoring. FIL already has US visa. MIL had US visa previously. She visited her sister-in-law with her father-in-law (so SIL could meet her father after a decade). She came and left within her permitted time. That visa has expired now. Now that her own daughter is here. She wants to visit her. Once she gets the visa, she will come here with her husband just to visit. Besides she has other kids back home that are not married so she has to go back to arrange their marriages and care for grandkids and her own 80+ YO father.
        Excellent, this improves chances of your MIL getting a visa to 99%.

Nephew is 3 YO and insists on visiting her aunt (my wife) whenever we call him. I don't want to jeopardize MIL's visa application if adding him makes it difficult. I could apply for him later if MIL gets her's.
        My suggestion would be first try with dropbox. If your MIL is also eligible.

Your Nephew is already eligible for dropbox.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

Comment

Thank you for your encouraging reply. I was worried how likely she is to get us visa.

By the way, what's drop box?

Comment

Thank you for your encouraging reply. I was worried how likely she is to get us visa.

By the way, what's drop box?

Comment

Thank you. I will just go regular route. I already prepared all documents.

Comment

Thank you. I will just go regular route. I already prepared all documents.
                Should be fine. Best of Luck !!

Comment

MIL's passport expires in few months. Does it influence their decision to award visa?
                  In-laws are worried that it does so they are hesitant to apply right away and thinking of renewing passport first.

Also MIL does not have bank account in her name. I told them to not open a new account in her name. Her husband's account is fine. Right?
                  Last edited by farazs1; 09-06-2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

MIL's passport expires in few months. Does it influence their decision to award visa?
                    In-laws are worried that it does so they are hesitant to apply right away and thinking of renewing passport first.
                    You need at least 6 months validity on your passport to apply for a visa & to travel to USA. This does not influence their decision, but can certainly delay the process or gives you a short validity visa. I am sure you don't want to take 1 year visa & re-apply for visa after an year.

Its good idea to renew passport first & take the visa in the new passport - they won't have to carry two passports & high chances they will get 10 years multiple entry visa.

Also MIL does not have bank account in her name. I told them to not open a new account in her name. Her husband's account is fine. Right?
                    That's fine.

Comment

once again thank you. I will ask them to renew the passport.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X