Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Citizen step grandchild of a step grandpa who is alien in USA

Hello,

I am trying to help my grandma who is citizen to get husband who is residing in USA citizenship as a spouse. I am not sure how this process goes, but I don't think given that he is 74 years old and my grandma 88 years old with dimentia they need to go through process like others. They both have social security cards and reside in the state of California just one has her citizenship. My aunt tried to apply for both but was told since he is not biological father that only the mother was able to get citizenship. Does anyone know how we can process him to get his citizenship? I found a page on USCIS for citizen but it would be her petitioning for him and keep in mind that she has dimentia, isn't there an exception? Hope to hear from someone with feedback or possibly who has been in the same predicament. He came to the US with a B2 visa back in 1996 and has been in the US since. There is a marriage certificate in their country and she carries his last name on her citizenship. Ugh, I don't understand why they couldn't just grant him citizenship when they did her. Welp, thanks so much for reading and hope you have a wonderful day.

Originally posted by Dill8 View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to help my grandma who is citizen to get husband who is residing in USA citizenship as a spouse. I am not sure how this process goes, but I don't think given that he is 74 years old and my grandma 88 years old with dimentia they need to go through process like others. They both have social security cards and reside in the state of California just one has her citizenship. My aunt tried to apply for both but was told since he is not biological father that only the mother was able to get citizenship. Does anyone know how we can process him to get his citizenship? I found a page on USCIS for citizen but it would be her petitioning for him and keep in mind that she has dimentia, isn't there an exception? Hope to hear from someone with feedback or possibly who has been in the same predicament. He came to the US with a B2 visa back in 1996 and has been in the US since. There is a marriage certificate in their country and she carries his last name on her citizenship. Ugh, I don't understand why they couldn't just grant him citizenship when they did her. Welp, thanks so much for reading and hope you have a wonderful day.
    The best way would be for your grandma to petition him and he does Adjustment of Status. Yes it would be the same process as everyone else. I am not sure how dementia of the petitioner affects the ability to petition.

Did they marry before or after your aunt turned 18? Only if they married before your aunt turned 18 would your aunt be able to petition him.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

What does this has to do with B2 visa?
      - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X