Reporting criminal conviction after visa issued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporting criminal conviction after visa issued

I've trawled through this thread and not found this covered, so hope it's okay to start a new post.

I'm British. I received a 10 year B1/B2 in 2016 and immediately applied for Global Entry.

I have recently been summoned to appear in court on minor criminal charges relating to business activity. The charges do carry a custodial sentence but my lawyer is confident that if convicted I would only get a fine.

I have the option of entering a plea now, which would save me the expense of a trial and guarantee me no custodial sentence but that means a criminal conviction.

My concern is whether the UK government update the US government with new convictions, and if so, does the US government automatically cancel the visa?

Am I obligated to update the US embassy/immigration department if I receive a criminal conviction after they have issued a visa? If so, what action, if any, do they take?

This conviction would only show on a criminal record check for 5 years, meaning by the time my visa is due for renewal in 2026 it should not show up on a standard search. I assume I would still have to declare it but hope it would not be significant enough to stop them issuing a new visa. I'm more concerned about them denying my application because I didn't update them when I was meant to.

Probably for a different thread but people on here might know as well... To get global entry I had to get a UK border force check. Global entry only lasts 5 years, so the renewal would be within 5 years of the conviction, so this would show up. Is there any way of getting global entry if I fail the UK border force check? This is much less important for me but still would like to know.

Sorry for the long post but trying to decide if I should plea for an easy life or fight all the way and hope to be found not guilty. I'm a frequent traveller to the USA as I have family there, so can't risk being blocked from travelling. I would appreciate responses to any element of the above.

Many thanks in advance.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X