Affidavit of Support Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affidavit of Support Transfer

I sponspored my mother (age 68) to visit USA and she got a 10 year visitors visa. She had been to USA couple of times. My sister arrived to USA later as her husband got an IT job. Later my sister applied for H1 and she got a job as well. She has 2 daughters with no one to take care of house cleaning & baby sitting, but the income is very attractive. The situation/expenses of house cleaning and baby sitting is now becoming beyond their control and therefore they want my mother to come and stay with them every 6 months.

My concern is since, I have signed the affidavit of support, I am fully responsible for my mother's medical treatment in USA? My mother has high bp and no-one can afford expensive hospital bills in the USA without an insurance. My's sister's husband clearly refuses to take her medical responsibility and still want's my sister to work and my mother to be available.

I tried searching for good medical insurance but every insurance company has a clause that voids payments if the patient has a pre-existing condition (High BP in this case).

What options do I have?
    1. Can I cancel my mother's visitor's visa and ask my sister to re-apply freshly
    2. Can I suggest my mother to ask my sister to sign a mutual agreement that she will be fully responsible for the medical expense incurred on my mother in case of any, as she is earning? Is this legal/workable solution?

My mother & myself are willing to help my sister but I am not ready to take this risk, specially having my own family and responsibility of 2 kids. How should I handle this situation such that I do not jeopardize my entire savings or fall in the trap of commonly known monthly hospital payment plans and still keep everyone happy?

Please advise

Sorry to sound harsh but your brother-in-law is a complete jerk who wants to have his cake and eat it too, and your sister is completely stupid to take the crap he is dishing out to her. Your sister is an educated adult with a well-paying job. Ask her to develop a backbone and develop some loyalty for her own mother.

Anyway, going on to your problem - well, there is no way for you to cancel your mother's visa and have her reapply again.

However, you can definitely explain your situation to your mother and ask her not to come to the US before your sister sends her and you a legally notarized affidavit clearly stating her intention to take care of her expenses (including medical expenses) and clearly stating that you will not be responsible for your mother's expenses.

Also tell your mother not to buy insurance from India and have your sister buy it for her from the US. Your mother should not leave India before she receives the proof of her insurance coverage for the full six months. That means your sister will have to pay the money for the insurance coverage lump sum. Then have your mother send you a photocopy of that proof of insurance coverage.

If your sister or b-i-l refuse to do the above-mentioned, then ask them to call your b-i-l's family members to take care of the children.

Finally, teach her how to contact 911 emergency services herself in case she falls ill at your sister's place and your b-i-l refuses to take her to the hospital.
    Last edited by smohanty; 05-04-2007, 02:40 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X