Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa for siblings graduation and a vacation

Hey guys,

My sister is going to USC for LLM and is expected to graduate next year.

I need some guidance on how exactly should I go about with the application to obtain the visa for the purpose of attending her graduation as well as a mini vacation following that. Also, I'm planning to go solo.

I've got a couple of concerns which is why I'm posting it here on the forum.

1) I'm 20 years old and just entered my last year of Engineering in India I really feel the officer would reject my application thinking I'd stay back since I'd technically be 'unemployed' at the time of my travel.

Question : My parents can't travel since my grandparents are bed-ridden and also somewhat due to financial constraints. But, they might even decide to travel. Can't say for sure right now though. Even if they are not planning to travel, should i make any one of them apply in order to increase my chances of getting the VISA? Also, should I ask my sister to send me a letter as a formal invite?

2) My father's income is about 5L a year. However, we can surely adjust bank deposits upto 10 L or so since we have good amount of shares, government bonds, a couple of properties. But, the later two are in the name of my grandfather.

Question : Should I have the bank deposit of 10 L in my account or dad's account?

3) I've got about $3000 of travel credits from which I can finance my flights, hotels and activities.

Question : When they ask me how I'm going to finance my trip, should I tell them that? Or Should I stick to my dad is going to sponsor my trip?

4) I plan to travel for about a month (mid May'20-June'20) and was thinking about applying around September/October so that I can score flights for a cheaper rate.

Question : When should I apply for the visa? If I apply around the months I'm planning, wouldn't that be some kind of a suspicion?
    If I plan to apply in December and they issue it for 6 months, I'll have to cut short my trip to a maximum of 15 days.

Looking forward to responses which could help me out with my dilemma.

Thanks a lot in advance

Am not a attorney, answering these questions based on my understanding.
    Originally posted by jayshah98 View Post
    1) I'm 20 years old and just entered my last year of Engineering in India I really feel the officer would reject my application thinking I'd stay back since I'd technically be 'unemployed' at the time of my travel.

Question : My parents can't travel since my grandparents are bed-ridden and also somewhat due to financial constraints. But, they might even decide to travel. Can't say for sure right now though. Even if they are not planning to travel, should i make any one of them apply in order to increase my chances of getting the VISA? Also, should I ask my sister to send me a letter as a formal invite?
    For attending graduation ceremony, let both of them be the primary applicant & you join them to accompany. At least for visa purpose. This way they will also have visa (mostly for 10 years) & your chances will also increase for approval.
    2) My father's income is about 5L a year. However, we can surely adjust bank deposits upto 10 L or so since we have good amount of shares, government bonds, a couple of properties. But, the later two are in the name of my grandfather.

Question : Should I have the bank deposit of 10 L in my account or dad's account?
    Remember what your sister showed at the time of her visa - try to match the same. As per first point, let your father be primary applicant & have him show the money in his account.
    3) I've got about $3000 of travel credits from which I can finance my flights, hotels and activities.

Question : When they ask me how I'm going to finance my trip, should I tell them that? Or Should I stick to my dad is going to sponsor my trip?
    Stick to your dad's financials, it will be better.
    4) I plan to travel for about a month (mid May'20-June'20) and was thinking about applying around September/October so that I can score flights for a cheaper rate.

Question : When should I apply for the visa? If I apply around the months I'm planning, wouldn't that be some kind of a suspicion?
    If I plan to apply in December and they issue it for 6 months, I'll have to cut short my trip to a maximum of 15 days.
    Apply in January, mostly you'll get 10 years multiple entry visa & each visit you can stay upto 6 months.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Libra_14 Thanks a lot for the answer.

The graduation date is 15th May 2020. USC doesn't provide any specific letters to invite family members for graduation. They've put up a template on their website which students can refer, write and send it to their family as an invite.

I'm planning to fill up the DS-160 form on 29th September and take up the interview around first week of November along with my parents (father as the main applicant as you suggested).

I hope taking the interview in November for a trip in May wouldn't be an issue????

Also, I've heard that the officers are pretty liberal when it comes to granting Visa for attending commencement ceremonies. However, considering the fact that I'll be done with my graduation at that time with not being enrolled at any other university for any further study at that point of time nor a job, should I be worried about it? I've read a lot of people complaining about visas getting rejected for their trip after their grad inspite of having return tickets and a sponsor form the US. Sorry for going on an emotional quotient.

Thanks

Comment

Hi feel free to inbox me me for more deltails

Comment

I hope taking the interview in November for a trip in May wouldn't be an issue????
          Yes, its not a problem.
          Also, I've heard that the officers are pretty liberal when it comes to granting Visa for attending commencement ceremonies. However, considering the fact that I'll be done with my graduation at that time with not being enrolled at any other university for any further study at that point of time nor a job, should I be worried about it? I've read a lot of people complaining about visas getting rejected for their trip after their grad inspite of having return tickets and a sponsor form the US. Sorry for going on an emotional quotient.
          That's not the case, there might be some other genuine reason for rejecting there visa.
          - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

Comment

Libra_14 Hello!

Went for my interview today along with my parents.
            They hardly asked anything. It probably lasted a total of 1 minute consisting of 3 basic questions for the three of us.

Approved the visa for my parents.

However, they asked me if I had applied at Calcutta's consulate as well. (which I obviously had not)

They've kept my passport for Additional Adminstration Processing and issued me the green slip and told me that I'll be informed within a week via mail.

What are the chances of it being accepted?

Comment

Approved the visa for my parents.
              Congratulations !!
              What are the chances of it being accepted?
              Stay positive, it is still not rejected. Just want for their email & respond to that email in timely manner.

Comment

Hello all,

I am graduate student sending invitation to my parents for applying visa. I have few questions regarding this.

I have my uncle residing here and my younger brother pursuing his undergrad who came before me to USA.

1. I did not mention about my uncle and my brother in my DS 160. Even my brother did not mention about my uncle in his DS 160.

2. Now while filling DS 160 for my parents it asks about any immediate relatives in USA should I mention about my uncle who is my mother's brother.

3. If I am not going to mention about my uncle then what should I do about my grandparents(mother's parents) who visited my uncle many times. I am asking this because in DS 160 it asks if my mother's parents visited USA.

4. I am currently staying at my uncle's place so should i give that address as to where my parents are going to stay during their visit.

So now should I take the risk of applying visa by hiding the details of my brother, uncle and grandparents in DS160 or give out the details of them.

I really want them to be here because I did not do my grad walk in India as I was here for my masters and I do not want them to miss this one.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by john_aquarius View Post
                  Hello all,

I am graduate student sending invitation to my parents for applying visa. I have few questions regarding this.

I really want them to be here because I did not do my grad walk in India as I was here for my masters and I do not want them to miss this one.

Thanks in advance.
                  Hi John, Copy pasting your same text on thousand threads won't really help.

Comment

Hello all, I am graduate student sending invitation to my parents for applying visa. I have few questions regarding this. I have my uncle residing here and my younger brother pursuing his undergrad who came before me to USA. 1. I did not mention about my uncle and my brother in my DS 160. Even my brother did not mention

Comment

Hi everyone,

I have visa interview scheduled for my sister/brother in law and their 2 kids studying 10th and 8th grade. I am H1b visa and inviting my sister family for visiting me and also my husband is graduating with phd degree in Dec 2019.(have invitation letter from university). what are the changes of getting the visitor visa if we tell them they are visiting for the Graduation as my sister family is not direct relation to my husband.

Also is it good idea to tell VO mutiple reasons for the visiting like celebrating Christmas and new year with us and also we have wedding anniversary in same month including above reasons.

Please let me know which reason should be appropriate to convince the VO, also my brother in law has a central govt job in india.

Any advice/suggestions will me more helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by swasriks View Post
                        Hi everyone,

I have visa interview scheduled for my sister/brother in law and their 2 kids studying 10th and 8th grade. I am H1b visa and inviting my sister family for visiting me and also my husband is graduating with phd degree in Dec 2019.(have invitation letter from university). what are the changes of getting the visitor visa if we tell them they are visiting for the Graduation as my sister family is not direct relation to my husband.

Also is it good idea to tell VO mutiple reasons for the visiting like celebrating Christmas and new year with us and also we have wedding anniversary in same month including above reasons.

Please let me know which reason should be appropriate to convince the VO, also my brother in law has a central govt job in india.

Any advice/suggestions will me more helpful.

Thanks in advance.
                        What VO want to ensure is that they will return back to home country, purpose of the visit is one way to show that. Keep your answer like to show that you'll return back to your home country.

Comment

Thank you Libra. Also coming to the sponsoring it is advisable to tell VO that my brother-in-law will be sponsoring the trip or I can be the sponsor.

He is making around 54k/m the VO will be convinced if we tell that he is sponsoring? please advise.

Comment

Originally posted by swasriks View Post
                            Thank you Libra. Also coming to the sponsoring it is advisable to tell VO that my brother-in-law will be sponsoring the trip or I can be the sponsor.

He is making around 54k/m the VO will be convinced if we tell that he is sponsoring? please advise.
                            The best is to have them self sponsor their visit. This way you also prove that the applicant is well to do in his/her home country & would not try to migrate to USA.

Comment

libra14 Thank you for the response!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X