Extend Tourist Visa Stay in USA due to Corona Virus and Waive I-539 fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extend Tourist Visa Stay in USA due to Corona Virus and Waive I-539 fee

My mom has come to US on tourist visa and her I-94 expires on the first week of May.

Due to Corona Virus, travel restrictions have been imposed in our home country (India). Also we want to avoid the risk of traveling in flights at this time.

Is there an easy way to to extend her stay in the US by one or two months?

I am aware that we should fill I-539 to extend our stay. But in-order to submit the online application it requires a fee of $370.
    1. Is filing I-539 the easiest way to extend her stay at this time?
    2. If so, is it possible to waive the fee due to the Corona virus situation?
    3. After filing I-539 should she wait for an approval to continue her stay? Or is the receipt good enough?
    Can you please help me with these? Thanks!
    Last edited by syncmaster; 03-22-2020, 08:07 AM.

Originally posted by syncmaster View Post
    Is filing I-539 the easiest way to extend her stay at this time?
    Yes.
    If so, is it possible to waive the fee due to the Corona virus situation?
    I doubt - call local USCIS / DHS office, since this is not a regular scenario.
    After filing I-539 should she wait for an approval to continue her stay? Or is the receipt good enough?
    Yes, as long as your application reaches USCIS before her I94 expiry date & a receipt is generated, she can stay in USA.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Comment

Thanks Rizwanaalavi , this clearly says they "may" consider. So to be on safer side, I would still suggest to file for extension before I94 expiry.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X