Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date of birth changed after traveled to the US once

Dear all,

I am a Chinese citizen. In China, we have a thing called Hukou(household registration), it determines one's ID number. For the majority of people, their ID number end with an Arabic number, some, like mine, end with a letter X. Also, you need to have a Hukou to apply for a passport.

15 years ago, when I was 17, my parents filed another Hukou for me without telling me because they were superstitious and they heard that people with ID card ending in X will have hard time enroll in college or find a job in the future. During this filing, they changed my date of birth from February to July. Back then, I was a minor who know nothing about what a Hukou is. My parents just told me to use the Hukou with date of birth in July. I have been using it ever since.

In 2016, I applied for a passport using this the Hukou that my parents filed for me latter. and I have been granted 3 US visas with this passport.
    1. in 2016, I have been granted a J-1 visa and I used it to visit the US as a visiting scholar for 14 months.
    2. in 2018, I have been granted a B1/B2 visa and I used it to travel to the US as a tourist for a little over a month.
    3. in 2019, I have been granted a J-1 visa to conduct research in a US university but I haven't left China yet.

Last month, the Hukou management division of public security bureau contacted me, telling me that I possess two Hukous and I have to cancel the one that my parents filed for me when I was 17 due to their policy. The problem is, with the cancellation of that Hukou, my date of birth will be changed, I would assume that my passport will be invalid automatically.

What will happen if I try to explain the situation to the US embassy to correct my information? Will I be denied or barred from the US?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X