Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor's visa -- Driver's License

Hi all,
    My parents have a 10 year multiple entry visa and they got a 6 months visa at port of entry. Are they eligible to apply for VA learner's permit/Driver's license? I went through the DMV website and read about the Photo ID, which i believe is different than the driver's license. As immihelp is an encyclopedia for all my questions, and my parents got visa because of this website, i could not stop myself in posting here. I would appreciate any help from you guys.
    Thanks
    Bluetide

In virginia, they ask for proof of legal presence. As long as you can provide that (passport, I-94, visa etc.), you should be able to get it.
    Once you go there, they will give you list of accpetable documents.

Please post your experiences when you go through it for the benefit of others.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

I guess the applicant got to have an SSN. But, you cant get SSN for a visitor. So, this is the first thing you got to check on. Some states do not need an SSN.

They also ask for "proof of residence". The applicant got to have a utility bill or pay stub or bank statements on his/her name.

OR

If the person doesn't have a proof of residence, a virginia license holder should refer that person (the referring person can be a family member).

These were the rules back in 1999 when we lived in Virginia.

Comment

Best thing is to just go to DMV and tell them you want license for visitor.
        Immihelp Support

Comment

These days the DMV stamps all non-immigrant's driver's licences with the validity date of your travel documents....so if its a photo id you want for your parents; the license won't help for subsequent trips..
          Plus, you need a lot of documentation to show as proof of identity and date of birth.
          Also, I don't know about Virginia, but in New York, if you don't have a SSN, you need a whole lot more paperwork from the SSA before you can apply....so you also want to make sure you want your parents going thru all that trouble when they are here

If you want your parents to be able to drive when they are here; it's best to let them get an International driver's permit.

Comment

All I know is that in Virginia, all you need is proof of legal presence.
            Immihelp Support

Comment

H1b dependent

I think When you go to DMV they need SSN for sure, but if you say you don't have it then they will ask you to go to local SSN Office and then get a 1 page statement(that will expire in 30 days) that you are a legal resident. Then you can submit the rest of the documentation. This is what I did for a dependent Visa I am not sure about visitors visa, parents case.

Thanks

Comment

SSN is not required for DL.
                Visitors cannot get an SSN any way.
                Visitors also cannot get DL in most states.
                However, most states allow Visitors to drive using their Foreign licenses. (International Driver Permit needed if License is not in English).
                This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

driver's license

well, i went to the DPS to try and get a temporary driver's license. they require my social security number( which i dont have since im on a b2 visa), i94 ,proof of residence( this means paystab, bill, official letter ) that has been sent to you to a particular address and also they required i take an online driving course. So i was unable to get one. What i would advice someone come here to visit is to get an international drivers license in their home country before they come here.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X