Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tourist visa renewal while in staying usa, is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourist visa renewal while in staying usa, is it possible?

Hi, my parents arrived yesterday which is November 8th from India, the day usa- india borders opened. They carry indian passport and received their tourist visa in 2013 for 10 years which is expiring in April 2022. I am pregnant and would like them to stay longer beyond April 2022, if need be. Is it possible to renew their tourist visa while they are in the usa? Or they have to go to India for it.

Originally posted by mic123 View Post
    Hi, my parents arrived yesterday which is November 8th from India, the day usa- india borders opened. They carry indian passport and received their tourist visa in 2013 for 10 years which is expiring in April 2022. I am pregnant and would like them to stay longer beyond April 2022, if need be. Is it possible to renew their tourist visa while they are in the usa? Or they have to go to India for it.
    Hi Member,
    As per my knowledge, you can not obtain visa while you are in the USA. Visa can be issued only in the consulates/ embassy. So, you will need to approach home country embassy/ consulates to renew the visa.
    Thanks

Comment

There are two issues here. First, if they got a ten-year visa in 2013, it expires in 2023. That can not be renewed in the US.

The other issue is the duration of stay. This is what I suspect your problem is (Nov -> April would be 180 days). They can file a I-539 now to extend their stay if they have some legitimate reason. You haven't indicated any reason that such an extension might be given. Just because you want them to stay longer isn't going to cut it. In addition, they'll need to show supporting evidence that they likely will leave at the end of the extended period.

Comment

they cannot renew their visas in the US....and camping out for a year or more, providing free child care, is not the purpose of a B2 visa...

Comment

Originally posted by mic123 View Post

Visa cannot be renewed within USA, but neither does you need that. Visa is merely required for entry in USA, once you are inside USA its expiry is irrelevant.

What matters once inside USA is their I94, you need to extend their stay by filing I539 (Extension-Of-Stay) before 2-3 months of their I94 expiry.

They can continue to stay in USA once their extension is filed with USCIS (before I94 expiry).

They can also renew their visa once they leave USA.
          - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Libra: I said all that. The problem is that there not getting that extended unless there is compelling reason which hasn't even begun to be expressed here. If you file an application for extension and it is denied you will be tagged with unlawful presence back to the original I-94 expiration date. An overstay may result in a bar on new visas.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X