B2 visa for Widowed Mother and Student Sister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 visa for Widowed Mother and Student Sister

Hi everyone, I have a few questions and I'll be grateful if anyone could shed some light on them.

I am on F-1 visa and I want my mother and sister to visit me next year. My mother is a widowed homemaker and has multiple properties under her name. My sister is in her 2nd year of B.Tech and is 19 yrs old. My sister doesn't have any properties or assets in her name. What are the chances that they both will be rejected?

I have read online that you need to show strong home-ties to your country. Will my mothers assets (properties and bank investments) be enough? My sister can get a letter from her college regarding the authenticity of her studies. Would that be wise?

Finally, should I book both their appointment slots together? Can i do anything else to increase my mother and sisters chances of getting approved?

Thanks!

The onus is on the applicant to prove that they will return back to their home country (ties to home country is the best reason to prove that). For your case you can mention the reason for their travel is to attend your graduation ceremony & that will help.

On the other note, "widow homemaker mother" is treated more as dependent on her son & VO might think that she "may" plan to stay in USA for long term - so she need to prove that she will return to take care of her own properties etc.

For your case, I would recommend having your mother & sister apply for their visa together.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Libra_14

I'm actually on my STEM OPT right now. My graduation was in May 2020 and the visa appointment was actually in April 2020 originally but the consulate closed due to COVID. Would mentioning this fact help at all?

My mother has multiple apartments under name and has rented them out and earns an income from them. She also has money in various bank investments too. Will she still be rejected as having no income?

Would having my sister and mother give their appointments at the same time lead to an increased risk of being rejected? I definitely want my mother to get approved whereas its OK if my sister gets rejected. Hence Im thinking of sending my mother to the interview first and then my sister.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurryman View Post
        I'm actually on my STEM OPT right now. My graduation was in May 2020 and the visa appointment was actually in April 2020 originally but the consulate closed due to COVID. Would mentioning this fact help at all?
        If the graduation is over, then it's not worth mentioning about it. You'll need a strong better reason for her visit to USA, which proves that she will return.
        My mother has multiple apartments under name and has rented them out and earns an income from them. She also has money in various bank investments too. Will she still be rejected as having no income?
        Consistent income from home country will really a good plus for her.
        Would having my sister and mother give their appointments at the same time lead to an increased risk of being rejected? I definitely want my mother to get approved whereas its OK if my sister gets rejected. Hence Im thinking of sending my mother to the interview first and then my sister.
        Appearing for interview together or single doesn't matter really much for your mother. Rather it will be easy for your sister to join your mother for interview.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

The short answer is no, you cannot file a “petition” for a family member for a visitor visa. A visitor visa (B-1 / B-2) is filed by the person seeking to come to the United States. It is filed electronically with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their respective country.

Last edited by MarleyM; 07-14-2022, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarleyM View Post
            The short answer is no, you cannot file a “petition” for a family member for a visitor visa. A visitor visa (B-1 / B-2) is filed by the person seeking to come to the United States. It is filed electronically with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their respective country. geometry dash world
            Useful information for me, many thanks!
            Last edited by jerseykilt; 10-29-2023, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I have recently applied for TRV for my mom and it was approved in 2 weeks. My mom is a widow, my sister also doesn't live in the home country.​

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X