Two Americans Getting Russian Citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Americans Getting Russian Citizenship

So, my boyfriend was born in America, however he is in a russian family, and he plans to go to Russia and train in their military service for 5 years. If he gets accepted, he will be granted russian citizenship and allowed to live in the country. However, we also plan on getting married and I hope to move to Russia after he has been there for a couple years.

My question is, would it be easier to get married in the US first, and then send our certificate to Russia? Or for me to get married there to become a citizen?

Russian citizenship requirements are different than those in U.S. It is almost universal, however, that foreign spouses of citizens of most countries have paths to citizenship in spouses' countries.

--Ray B

Originally posted by akfire View Post
    So, my boyfriend was born in America, however he is in a russian family, and he plans to go to Russia and train in their military service for 5 years. If he gets accepted, he will be granted russian citizenship and allowed to live in the country. However, we also plan on getting married and I hope to move to Russia after he has been there for a couple years.

My question is, would it be easier to get married in the US first, and then send our certificate to Russia? Or for me to get married there to become a citizen?

Comment

Originally posted by akfire View Post
      I don't think one approach is easier than the other. Both involve getting your documents legalized (non-Hague version of apostille) for use in the Russian Federation. If I were you, I would get married wherever it is you both want to get married. If you get married in the United States, plan ahead and be careful with the name change

Comment

Get married in US. In this case you'll get more chances for backup in case of any failure.

Comment

I think that you should read more information on the Internet. As far as I know, dual citizenship between the russian federation and the United States is not prohibited by the laws of both countries. Therefore, there is nothing easier than to get russian citizenship.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X