B2 visa stay extension - less than 15 days for i94 valid date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 visa stay extension - less than 15 days for i94 valid date

My mom is currently in US with me. She entered US on Sep 24th and has a valid i94 till Mar 23rd. We had initially booked the return travel ticket for March 18th. She is 60 years old. Because of the risk associated with corona virus infection during travel and her age, we are not sure if its the right time for her to travel (alone).

Note : Because its a last minute decision, we are not able to apply before the needed 45 days of i94 date. Will this affect the decision.

1. Is it ok to apply for an extension stating this as the reason. WIll USCIS consider this request.

2. What happens if we dont get a response before her i94 end date (Mar 23rd)

3. If approved/rejected, will it affect her future return to US?

Her application just needs to be received before her status expires. She can even file I-539 online. As long as she has filed it before her status expires, she can stay in the US while it is pending. It's hard to say whether they will consider it a valid reason for extension. If they approve it or if she leaves the US before a decision is made, her visa is not voided. If they deny it and she is still in the US when they deny it, her visa will be voided and she will start accruing unlawful presence, but she does not trigger a ban if she leaves before accruing 180 days of unlawful presence. It's hard to say what effect it would have on future entry to the US, regardless of whether they approve or deny it.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Do you know roughly how long it will take for processing before she gets a approval/denial?

This would be in California service center.

-Prasanna

Comment

I am in a similar situation. My mother is 81 with an underlying medical condition. It seems India has also put some restrictions now. Her stay expires on 26th March and we were planning to leave on 21st March. I am trying to efile extension now, not sure the future implications, just hoping they understand the current situation. What have you decided?

Comment

I have applied for extension yesterday and got the receipt immediatlely. India has also put some travel restrictions. So I felt it is better to apply for the extension

Comment

Mine is also same case. Could you please let me know what are the supporting docs your furnished. Have you got appointment for bio-metrics immediately ?

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
              Her application just needs to be received before her status expires. She can even file I-539 online. As long as she has filed it before her status expires, she can stay in the US while it is pending. It's hard to say whether they will consider it a valid reason for extension. If they approve it or if she leaves the US before a decision is made, her visa is not voided. If they deny it and she is still in the US when they deny it, her visa will be voided and she will start accruing unlawful presence, but she does not trigger a ban if she leaves before accruing 180 days of unlawful presence. It's hard to say what effect it would have on future entry to the US, regardless of whether they approve or deny it.
              If we leave before the decision is made and it is after the current I-94 date (may be 2 months more). Will USCIS continue with the application or will they cancel the application ? If they carry on and turn out the request is denied and even though the person is not in US anymore, will that lead to Visa being cancelled ?

Comment

helppassport: Hi, we are also in the same situation with my parents. How long have you applied the extension for? And did you e-file to get the receipt immediately?

Comment

Originally posted by MaheshGudluru View Post

If we leave before the decision is made and it is after the current I-94 date (may be 2 months more). Will USCIS continue with the application or will they cancel the application ? If they carry on and turn out the request is denied and even though the person is not in US anymore, will that lead to Visa being cancelled ?
                  The application should be abandoned, and it should not affect the visa as long as the denial date is after they left the US.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply.
                    usually.. how many days USCIS takes to schedule for bio-metric appointment after applying for extension !!

Comment

I also applied online, you get receipt immediately. My understanding is Biometrics will take time.

Comment

same with me I have applied online and receipt number is generated once we submit the application. so far so good Let's wait ans see !!

Comment

Originally posted by helppassport View Post
                          I have applied for extension yesterday and got the receipt immediatlely. India has also put some travel restrictions. So I felt it is better to apply for the extension
                          Have you got the notification for bio-metrics appointment ?

Comment

I'm also in the same situation.
                            What did you all put in the cover letter as reason for extension?
                            How long are you all requesting for extension?

Comment

Is anybody aware of how can I file online for parents (mom and dad) together? When I applied online it says I can only do individual applications - For co-applicant it has to be submitted via paper.
                              Last edited by m_Mehta; 03-19-2020, 11:24 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X