Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitior Visa Extension...

Hello,

My mother stay in US visitor visa expires in June . Looking at the current situation Covid -19 , I am planning to extend her stay.

I would like to know :
    1.0 Process for filing extension of stay ?
    2.0 When to apply for extension and by when I can expect response ?
    3.0 Will there be any waiver on extension due to Covid-19 ?
    4.0 Does extension of stay will impact on future travels.

Kindly help me to understand and take necessary action.
    Thank you.

Originally posted by my_visa_inquiry View Post
    1.0 Process for filing extension of stay ?
    Form I539 to be filled online.
    2.0 When to apply for extension and by when I can expect response ?
    You need to submit the application before her I94 expiry date & response will take 2 to 4 months.
    3.0 Will there be any waiver on extension due to Covid-19 ?
    Nothing that I am aware of.
    4.0 Does extension of stay will impact on future travels.
    No, this one will surely not. But she should carry proof of her return (boarding pass) for future travels.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Thank you for your response Libra_14.

Question/s :

1. How many days prior should I apply for this extension ( like a week before I-94 expires) . Will that be good enough ?
      2. You mentioned response will take 2 to 4 months. In this scenario, I- 94 would be expired. Can you stay without knowing the results of your application. ?

I really appreciate your time and response.

Comment

1. at least 45 days before the I-94 expiration date
        2. yes. As long as you apply for extension before I-94 date expires

Overview on visa extension at https://www.immihelp.com/visitors-visa-extension/
        This is not a legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

What happens if I leave the US before my I-539 application to extend status is approved?
          I filed my I-539 application on 21st April to extend my B1 status due to COVID 19. The application is still in progress.
          What happens if I return to India while the I-539 extension is still pending with USCIS?
          If I return to India while the I-539 extension is still pending then it will impact my future travels?

Comment

Hi ,

My Parents are on visitor visa and their I94 was till May 7th. I filed for extension in April but mistakenly in the cover letter I've requested extension till July 30th ( 3 months extension). I heard that by default one gets 6 months extension. I wanted to know if they are not able to fly back in august, is it recommended to apply extension in July again ( as i requested only for 2 months) or do i have to do by october-november ?

Thanks

Comment

"What happens if I return to India while the I-539 extension is still pending with USCIS?"

I actually asked this question to a lawyer and she said "because you left country while application is pending, your application will likely be denied, but this is a gray area and you might be ok with it, since you left while your application is pending. However there is no way to check if your visa is still ok or void. You may see what happens when you come back to USA. Also she said withdrawing application after leaving is not good since it can void your visa."

That was the response I got, but anyone who has experience/knowledge, please share your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by sharocks06 View Post
                Hi ,

My Parents are on visitor visa and their I94 was till May 7th. I filed for extension in April but mistakenly in the cover letter I've requested extension till July 30th ( 3 months extension). I heard that by default one gets 6 months extension. I wanted to know if they are not able to fly back in august, is it recommended to apply extension in July again ( as i requested only for 2 months) or do i have to do by october-november ?

Thanks
                I am in the very same situation. I asked for 4 months extension and not the full 6 months. The application is still in Pending Status.
                Is there a way to request for the extension to be for 6 months and not 4 months?
                Or will it have to be a separate application with full fees paid? And can I ask for 6 more months or am I eligible to ask for only 2 months more?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sharocks06 View Post
                  Hi ,

Thanks
                  Did u hear any updates on your case?

Comment

Hello,

I have filed for b2 visa extension i.e. Form I- 539 online .

Important dates are as follows:

6 months visa validity: 06-26-2020
                    I-539 form submitted online: 06-14-2020
                    Requested duration for extension: 3 months i.e.09-26-2020

I have not heard any response on the case.

Please help me understand to make decisions based on the following questions:

1.0 Can you stay beyond the requested extension (for 3 months till 09-26-2020) mentioned in the form ?

2.0 Do we have flexibility of planning return taking into consideration 6 months max duration in case of extension ?

3.0 Do I need to file another I-539 form for a 1-2 months extension or wait for the response of this filled form ?

4.0 What is the suggested protocol(duration) for booking return ticket also taking into consideration current scenario in India?

5.0 Lastly, What steps to take if we do not get any response ?

I would like to thank you in advance for your response. This forum definitely help in making informed decisions.

Comment

Please share any information/ response on above discussion. Thank you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X