Change of st + extension not responded and left the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of st + extension not responded and left the US

Hi! I applied for a change of status from J1 to B2 for 6 mts due to covid and then extended that status for another 6mts. I did not get response from any of those and I showed up to both biometric appointments. I left the US before the date until I asked for because I didn’t want to get into unlawful presence but now I’m wondering if they deny it for some reason, will it be consider unlawful presence since my DS expired or just until the date I got the deny notice? Can somebody give me an accurate response about that? Will my B2 visa (that I had before) be voided? Or can I re-entry using it? I’m literally freaking out about this. Thank so much for all the information you can give me.

First, people with D/S on their I-94 do not accrue unlawful presence no matter how long they stay out of status unless they apply for a benefit and are denied. Second, you do not accrue unlawful presence for as long as a timely-filed, non-frivolous Change of Status or Extension of Stay is pending, even if it is ultimately denied or abandoned. Since you left the US before a decision was made on your COS, you did not accrue any unlawful presence and your visa is not voided.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X