Fixed coverage visitor insurance is not enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed coverage visitor insurance is not enough

As many of the readers already know, there are two major types of visitor insurance plans for USA:

Fixed coverage: Cheaper, limited coverage
    Comprehensive coverage: Better, more expensive
    More details at https://www.insubuy.com/visitors-insurance/

We always ask everyone to buy the comprehensive coverage plans, and never the fixed coverage plans. We explain this to every single customer that calls in our office. We have also designated two separate sections on the web site to indicate the difference. We have also written so many times on the web sites, in blogs, discussion forums and everywhere. In other words, we are doing everything we possibly can to educate customers to buy the comprehensive coverage plans, instead of fixed coverage plans.

However, still so many of our customers still end up buying fixed coverage plans for their relatives visiting USA.

I just heard back from one of my customers who has purchased $50,000 coverage with $50 deductible.
    In his own words, "In May, my father suffered chest pains and I took him to the ER. There they advised us that he needed a quick angioplasty to unblock couple of minor arteries in his heart. We went ahead with the procedure and brought him home after two nights in the hospital. The bills from ER and ICU have totalled $188,000".

Now, if the condition happens to be pre-existing condition, insurance company would not pay. (That would not be covered in comprehensive coverage plans either.)

However, assuming that the condition is covered,
    ER visit = $330
    Ambulance = $450
    Surgery = $3,300
    2 days of hospitalization/ICU = $2,060/day = $4,120
    There may be some other charges that may be included as per the schedule of benefits. (I am not aware of all the charges for this customer as of now as I have not received anymore details.)

However, in any case, the total coverage amount may not be more than around $10,000, for this particular customer.

If your bill is $188,000 and you are getting coverage for $10,000, how good is fixed coverage visitor insurance plan? This applies to any fixed coverage plans that we sell and don't sell, either from USA or India.

The point is, you are buying visitor insurance for any unexpected medical expenses that may occur after the effective date of the policy. However, when that occurs, you should be adequately covered. Therefore, please, always buy the comprehensive coverage plans.

Some people say that the limits listed in schedule of benefits look reasonable to them. And therefore, it should be OK to buy fixed coverage. If that is the case, why would the same company offer the same policy maximum (such as $50,000, $100,000 etc.) and charge you 2 to 3 times more money for comprehensive coverage plans? Why would anyone buy comprehensive coverage plans? Why would even such plans exist in the market?

Many people argue that comprehensive coverage plans are too expensive. Well, 'expensive' is a relative word. Besides, the cost of the insurance would be according to the level of coverage and the cost of treatment in USA. Looking at the cost of medical treatment in USA, and looking at the age of your parents, comprehensive coverage plans are really not that expensive.
    Moreover, the airline tickets from India to USA used to be around $800 to $900 not too long ago. Now, they are around $1,800 and $2,000, on an average. If you are inviting parents for 4 to 6 months, you buy two airline tickets, and all the other expenses related to their stay, getting visa, and all that. In that case, should you not also buy a proper insurance to cover them adequately?

Therefore, I again request everyone to always buy comprehensive coverage plans, and never the fixed coverage plans.
    Please note that as there is no universally acceptable legal definition of fixed vs. comprehensive coverage plans, some people try to sell you the insurance claiming it is comprehensive coverage plan, while it is fixed coverage plan in reality. In that case, make sure to check whether the plan has any sub-limits.
    Thanks & Regards
    Insubuy
    Toll Free: (866) INSUBUY
    Local: (972) 985-4400
    Fax: (972) 767-4470

To further understand how the fixed coverage plans work:

Visitors Care:
    Visitors Care Insurance Reviews - How Plan Works - Review of benefits and features for Visitors Medical Insurance for international visitors to USA. Very popular for those inviting their parents or in-laws visiting USA

Inbound USA:
    Safe Travels Elite Insurance Reviews - How Plan Works - Review of benefits and features for Visitors Medical Insurance for international visitors to USA. Very popular for those inviting their parents or in-laws to US
    Thanks & Regards
    Insubuy
    Toll Free: (866) INSUBUY
    Local: (972) 985-4400
    Fax: (972) 767-4470

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X