Visitor needs surgery, insurance will not cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor needs surgery, insurance will not cover

My father-in-law is seriously ill after coming to US (California) on a tourist visa. He purchased insurance from India (provided by Mercury International in UK). He has several complications (including the need for bypass surgery) which would incur huge costs (definitely more than $100,000). The insurance company will not cover anything (no surprise). Also he is not in a condition to fly back to India.

Initially he was taken to the emergency room of a private hospital. After knowing the plight of the insurance company we transferred him to a county hospital based upon advise from friends.

The forms for admiiting him in the hospital was filled in by my wife. She does not remember if she signed any document that stated anything about financial responsibility. In I-134 I did not mention anything about taking care of medical expenses.

I have a few questions:
    1. Am I financially responsible for the medical payments?
    2. Can the hospitals make me responsible for payments?
    3. What should I do in these circumstances?

Thanks

Re:Visitor needs surgery, insurance will not cover

I am sad to hear this.

You are not alone, my friend. When my father came here in 2000, similar thing happened to him. Insurance from India did not cover anything when we discovered cancer several months after coming here. But he was in condition to go back to India and he had treatment done in Mumbai. Insurance from India never pays anything.

As it is cheaper, many people fall in trap of insurance from India (including myself earlier). But we all fail to understand that for the kind of small premiums they charge and amount of huge coverage they say they provide($500,000), it is impossible to survive for them if they really cover anything.

Coming to point, if your wife signed any papers saying that she will be responsible for expenses, then she will be. Otherwise, she won't be responsible.
    If your wife did not sign anything, your father-in-law won't be in condition to pay anything and he is visitor. Hence he should be fine.

If you don't sign anything, hospital can't make you responsible for payment, just because the person is your father or father-in-law. I can very understand that when your close relative is very sick, first thing on your mind is to get him treated and it is very easy to sign whatever hospital says. I understand it is easier said than done, but you should never sign any papers on behalf of your relatives.

Definitely file a complaint at 'Commissioner of Insurance' both in California and Florida against Mercury. (Mercury is in FL.)
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Medical Insurance

I want everyone to read and understand the legal documents that detail the medical coverage in United States while on tourist Visa.
      Please remember that any insurance bought back overseas or even in United states for a Tourist is covered under "short term medical coverage".
      And if you must know a "short term coverage" insurance does not cover "pre-existing conditions". that the key word "PRE EXISTING CONDITIONS".
      For example pregnancy is not covered in any short term medical insurance unless you get specific coverage for it and that will bump your premium by at least 5 times and you'll be denied coverage if pregnent at the time of application.
      So even if a company claims that they will pay up to US$500,000 or a Million dollars, that does apply for something that happens while you're a visitor and has no link to conditions before you bought the insurance.
      Getting injured in a car wreck is a good example of the event that will be covered by these companies.

Comment

Re: Medical Insurance

What you said is right but in my personal experience, insurance from India does not pay for anything.
        Immihelp Support

Comment

I need to ask for a clarification here- If you dont sign anything when u admit the visitor to the hospital, that means you are not liable for any medical expenses that may be incured?does signing the affidavit of support mean you are taking on medical liability for the visitor?

Comment

When you sign I-134 form, you are writing that you will take care of all their expenses while their stay in USA.
            Immihelp Support

Comment

What is I-134. My mother got 10 year visitor visa 4 years back. I don't remember signing any for for her. All I sent to her was a sponsorship letter signed by me (not notary) and my payslip and employment letter.

I defonitely wrote in the sponsorship letter that "All her expenses will be borne by me".

Comment

I-134 is here /us-visa-and-immigration-forms/sh...form=i-134
                Immihelp Support

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X