Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Mom (70+) in India gets her GreenCard, she eligible for medicare/medicaid/etc ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Mom (70+) in India gets her GreenCard, she eligible for medicare/medicaid/etc ?

When my Mom (70+ years) who is currently on Indian passport in India gets her US Greencard, will she become eligible for medicare/medicaid/etc when she visits US?

Thanks

No She will not be eligible for medicare or medicaid. Please look at the New immigrant insurance section at,

Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

I think there is some confusion...Your link refers to visitors visa.
      A person who has greencard will not get covered by medicare, medicaid, etc ?
      sure?

Comment

OK. Thanks. Got it.
        Any advantage then of applying for Green card for my mom who is 70+ old ? She can continue to visit US on Visitor visa.

Any pros/cons of applying for Green card v/s continuing to visit on visitor visa?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by KC_2014 View Post
          When my Mom (70+ years) who is currently on Indian passport in India gets her US Greencard, will she become eligible for medicare/medicaid/etc when she visits US?

Thanks
          She cannot qualify for Medicare until she has been a permanent resident for 5 years, and even then, if neither she nor her spouse has paid Medicare taxes for 10 years, she would have to pay a premium for Medicare Part A, whereas for people who have paid the Medicare tax, Part A is free.

She also cannot qualify for Medicaid in most states until she has been a permanent resident for 5 years. In California and New York, she can get a state-funded equivalent of Medicaid in that state even before she has been a permanent resident for 5 years, if she meets the low income and all the other requirements. Note that the sponsor of the I-864 could theoretically be liable for reimbursement of Medicaid expenses incurred while she is a permanent resident (no matter how many years she has been a permanent resident).

Also, a green card is not for "visiting". She must maintain residence in the US.

Comment

"Also, a green card is not for "visiting". She must maintain residence in the US."

that is so true and was polite

I would say....... A green Card is not an open ticket to U.S

Comment

Getting a green card would get her one benefit: Ability to stay in the US permanently and do whatever work a person would like to do.

If that is not what you want, then don't apply for greencard. Let her visit on visitor visa and get visitors insurance at https://www.insubuy.com/visitors-insurance/

If you think by getting her green card, she will get some government benefits, that is not going to happen.
              Thanks & Regards
              Narendra Khatri

Toll Free: (866) INSU-BUY
              Local: (972) 985-4400
              Fax: (972) 767-4470

Comment

My point of view is that the mom who is 70 or 70+ can't be eligible because she is not medically fit due to her age

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X