Medicaid for green card mother in law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medicaid for green card mother in law

Hello, my wife and I are U.S. citizens residing in NY. I’m looking for some direction regarding my 64 year-old Brazilian mother-in-law. My wife (her daughter) and myself sponsored her mother and father’s green card application in 2020. Both have since received their green card. Her father has since returned to Brazil, over a year ago, and am not sure if he will be returning We know that her mother is eligible for Medicaid but am not certain if my wife and I can be held financially responsible for her accrued Medicaid medical charges as we both were her sponsors in 2020. I’ve read that there is a difference between emergency Medicaid and non emergency Medicaid, but am not certain if New York is a state that attempts to recover funds from sponsors. Any help from someone would be more than appreciated. Thank you!

Your situation is a bit similar to mine. I’m not 100% sure, but I think that the affidavit (I-864) the sponsor signed SHOULD make her ineligible for Medicaid, unless it is Emergency Medicaid, which I think my mother in law has right now although she is still on a B2 visa.

The Emergency Medicaid would have no impact on the sponsor or the sponsor’s contract with USCIS.

if somehow your mother in law does receive benefits from Medicaid, I think your wife, as the sponsor, will be held accountable because of the affidavit (I-864) she signed. She could be asked to repay the cost of benefits her mom received.

Comment

Originally posted by mypatienceisover View Post
      .........., unless it is Emergency Medicaid, which I think my mother in law has right now although she is still on a B2 visa.
      Are you saying someone on B2 / visitor visa can be eligible for Emergency Medicaid? I find this hard to believe.

Comment

I am interested, too, so I am just going to follow this topic. I guess it's worth looking into Ushealth Group reviews for alternative insurance options that might be available for your mother-in-law. They seem to offer plans that cater to different needs, which could be beneficial in this situation. Always important to compare different policies to make sure you find the best fit for her specific circumstances.
        Last edited by miriamday; 01-14-2024, 04:31 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X