J2 Visa – Home Residency Requirement – Waiver for Dependent Spouse and Children

J2 Visa - Home Residency Requirement - Waiver for Dependent Spouse and Children
  • If the primary visa holder on J-1 visa is subject to two-year home-country physical-residence requirement, his/her dependent spouse and children who received J-2 visa based on that J-1 visa are also subject to the same requirement. 

  • However, dependents don’t need to separately apply for waiver, as they are automatically included in J-1 visa waiver application. Dependents should be listed in the J-1 visa waiver application. No additional (per person) fees need to be paid to include the dependents.

  • The primary applicant on J-1 visa gets the waiver, and the dependents on J-2 visa also automatically get the waiver.

  • With a few exceptions, dependents on J-2 via cannot apply for a waiver when the primary applicant on J-1 visa is not applying.

    However, in the following circumstances, Waiver Review Division will consider the application on a case-by-case basis:
    • J-1 spouse dies:
      Attach a copy of your J-1 spouse’s death certificate
    • J-1 and J-2 spouses divorce:
      Attach a copy of the divorce decree from your J-1 spouse.
    • J-2 child reaches age 21:
      Attach a copy of your birth certificate if you are a J-2 child age 21 or over.

  • You should also submit a statement explaining:
    1. why you are applying for a waiver and your J-1 spouse/parent is not.
    2. why your situation merits special consideration.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit insubuy.com or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400