Documents for J1 Visa applicant

You will need the following documents for getting J-1 visa.

Mandatory documents
  • Current Passport as well as old old passports

  • One photograph

  • Confirmation page of online submitted Form DS-160 with CEAC bar code.

  • Visa Fees
    Fees to be paid in advance before taking an appointment.

    However, if your J program is sponsored by the U.S. government (with a program code starting with a "G"), you don't need to pay the visa fee.

  • Original interview appointment letter and one copy.

  • All pages of original SEVIS generated Form DS-2019 in original, approved and signed by your sponsor organization in the U.S.

    The consular officer verifies the DS-2019 record electronically through the SEVIS system in order to process the visa application.

    When your visa is granted, the Consular Officer will stamp and sign your DS-2019 in the allotted space at the end of the interview. This applies to both J1s and J2s. If you realize that it is not stamped, return to the Consulate office immediately, where you were interviewed to get it stamped/signed.

  • Original Proof of payment of SEVIS I-901 Fee Receipt and one copy, if applicable.

    If your J program is sponsored by the U.S. government (with a program code starting with a "G"), you don't need to pay this fee.

  • Copy of Form DS-7002, if applicable.

    All exchange visitor (J visa) trainee or intern visa applicants (based on Box 7 on form) must also present Training/Internship Placement Plan, Form DS-7002.

Supporting documents
  • Photocopies of the first page, last page and remarks pages of your current Passport.

  • Copy of Form DS-2019.

  • Evidence of financial resources.

    Any financial documentation you provide should be in support of this.

    To establish your financial resources, you should bring to the Consulate:
    • Original tax returns for the past 3 years (specifically Form 16).
    • Original bank records (bank statements, pass books, bank books) for the past 3 years, and/or fixed deposit statement of your parent or sponsor. (Although anyone may sponsor your education, the Consular Officer will be more convinced if your parent or close family member finances your studies)
    • Pay slips, employment letters
    • Chartered accountant statements
    • If you receive a scholarship, it is noted on the form and favorably considered by the Officer.

    The U.S. Consulate discourages applicants from bringing property deeds or certified copies of financial documents. Only bring financial documents that can support you or your sponsor's claim that your studies in the U.S. will be fully funded.

  • If you are being funded by an Organization (American or non-American), a letter from the organization explaining what funding will be provided.

  • Original Bachelor degree transcripts or high school diploma along with mark sheets from previous institutions attended.

  • IMPORTANT: If you are applying for a J-visa under a U.S. Government (G) program, you are exempted from all fees. Further, you will need to apply directly at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

India Specific Information
  • Visa Fees

    Fees to be paid in advance at the Bank before taking an appointment.

  • Sample appointment letter for interview.