Documents for India Visa
To obtain a visa to India, you must complete the following documents:
  1. Application form:
    You must complete online visa application form.

  2. Order form:
    Applicable only for the jurisdiction that process OCI through Cox & Kings Global Services (which is at least the entire United States):

    Complete the CKGS Order Form and print it.

  3. Additional Particulars form:
    Applicable only for the jurisdiction that processes OCI through Cox & Kings Global Services (which is at least the entire United States):

    Complete the Additional particular form and print it.

  4. Persons of Indian Origin:
    The following two documents are required.

  5. Proof of address

  6. Photograph:
    One photograph, to be pasted on the application form

    Photograph instructions
    Instructions on getting the photographs

    Exception: Citizens of Pakistan must submit 4 photos.

  7. Supporting documents:
    These documents are Category Specific, according to the type of visa you are applying for.

  8. Passports:
    Passports must have a minimum validity of 6 months from the date of application with at least two blank visa pages. The last two amendment pages are not acceptable. You must submit an original passport, not a copy.

    Dual citizenship:
    If you have dual citizenship with the U.S. and another country, you must apply using your U.S. passport.

    If you hold a dual citizenship with Pakistan, you must apply for a visa on your Pakistani passport unless you can show proof that you have renounced your Pakistani citizenship and can provide a renunciation certificate. Absence of Pakistani passport or an expired Pakistani passport is not considered proof of renunciation of Pakistani nationality. When applying for the visa on the Pakistani passport, you must submit the Special Pakistan Application. Additionally, sponsorship certificate form is required for all citizens of Pakistan holding a Pakistani passport. The sponsor must be an Indian citizen living in India.

  9. For minors only (Under 18)
    • Photocopy of birth certificate:
      Depending on your nationality at birth, the following documents are accepted:
      • U.S.: Birth certificate only.

        If you were born abroad as a US citizen, a copy of the Born Abroad certificate issued by the U.S. Department of State must be presented.

      • India: Birth certificate, old Indian passport or school leaving certificate.

      • All Others: Birth certificate or any government document from the country of origin that has parents name, date of birth and nationality. It must be translated into English and notarized. If you don't already have the birth certificate, you will have to contact the government of your country of origin to obtain a birth certificate or any government document from the country of origin that has parents name, date of birth and nationality.

    • Copy of the vital page(s) containing the picture and signature page of both parents' signed passports.

    • Signature:
      • First Page:
        Minor applicants of age 5 years and above must sign or print his/her name on the first page in the signature box under the photo. For minor applicants under the age of 5 years, a thumb print (left thumb print for boys and right thumb print for girls) with black or blue ink must be placed in the signature box.

      • Second Page:
        Both parents must sign on the second page and it must be notarized with a notary stamp and seal. Minors must not sign on the second page.

  10. Proof of name change

  11. Fees

  12. Even with Indian visa, travel to certain parts of the country is prohibited. If you would like to travel to any of those areas, you would need to get Protected Area Permit.

  13. The foreign national must have a valid travel document and a re-entry permit, if required under the law of the country of residence.

  14. Additional requirements for non-U.S. Citizens:
    • Applicants who are not U.S. citizens, but hold a long term U.S. visa or green card, should submit a copy of the visa or the green card.

    • Applicants who are not citizens/residents of the USA and hold a tourist or other short-term USA visa should normally apply for Indian visas in the country of their permanent residence. In case of emergency or special circumstances, an application can be made at the Indian Embassy/Consulate in USA. In addition to the relevant visa fee, there is a reference fee of $20.00 for reference to be made to the country of their original residence. The processing time in such cases is usually 5-7 working days.

  15. Prepaid return shipping envelope:

    If applying for renunciation certificate at the same time as visa, send two envelopes instead.

  16. Minor applicants:
    For minors under the age of 18 years, please complete parental authorization form for minors.

  17. Jurisdiction specific:
    • New York:
      • Applicants that got naturalized after 2006 are required to submit their original Indian passport.
      • Applicants that got naturalized after 2004 are requried to submit copy of their naturalization certificate.
    • Houston:
      For minor appilcants, both parents signatures are required on application form & copy of driver's license or Indian passport of both parents are required.

    • Chicago
      Applicants born outside India need to provide passport copy or any other related documents showing parent place of birth as India if parents are born in India.

India Travel Medical Insurance