Student Visa - Schengen Countries
Citizens of the USA, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, as well as EU citizens may apply for their residence permit after entering the Schengen territory without a visa.

Citizens of other countries must apply and get a residence permit before entering the Schengen territories. This option is also available to the citizens of the countries who could otherwise enter without a visa first.

You have to submit the application in person, except in rare circumstances. After you submit all the required documents, they will be forwarded to the Alien's Office that has the jurisdiction for your intended place of residence. It takes about 25 days to process the student visa. Once the Alien's Office approves the application, the consulate will issue a residence permit in the form of a visa. You are required to register with the Alien's Office upon your first arrival. A final residence permit for the duration of your studies will be granted after your arrival.