What to Do After You Land in the U.S. with a Visitor Visa

Finally, you have arrived in your dreamland. For many years, people have looked at the U.S. as a land of opportunities. The U.S. has a lot to offer when it comes to tourism, as well. Most of us know what to do to reach the U.S., but what about what to do immediately after you arrive?

This article will help you to understand the process after you land in the U.S. with a visitor visa. The first thing that every visitor is required to do at arrival is to register themselves at the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Biometric Identity. The department scans fingerprints and takes a digital photograph of each visitor to keep proof of visit.

Most international flights give a 6059B customs declaration form to their passengers before landing. This filled form needs to be submitted to the immigration department upon arrival at the airport. If you have taken a connecting flight to the U.S., you will fill only the latest flight information, as there is no space to fill multiple flights information in your itinerary.

After you are through with immigration, you can go collect your baggage and clear customs. If you do not have anything to declare, then baggage search might or might not happen at the checkpoint. A separate screening is done by the public health officer for travelers coming to the U.S. for a health check-up.

Visitors Insurance

Get Quotes

For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call 1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400

Why Purchase from Insubuy?

Read Article

FAQs for Tourists on a Visitor Visa

Q: I have applied for the visitor visa. Can I leave my job now?

A: No. You are visiting the U.S. for a short term on a tourist visa, and you are expected to go back to your home country at the end of your authorized stay.

Q: Will I get a physical copy of my visa?

A: Your visa is placed on a page of your passport. You must check all the details on the visa immediately to get any corrections done if needed.

Q: How will I know what is not allowed in my baggage?

There is a specific duty-free allowance per passenger. To understand the regulations, it is best to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection official website. Failing to abide by the customs rules might result in a heavy penalty.

Q: How do I reach my destination after exiting the airport?

A: Once all the formalities are completed at the airport and you are ready to go, you can book a cab to your destination from a mobile app. Cabs are available at most international airports as soon as you step outside, although some have a designated curbside area for cabs and passengers.

Q: I am coming to work in the U.S. Which visa should I apply for?

A: If you are coming to work in the U.S., your employee will sponsor an H-1B visa. A B-1 or B-2 visitor visa is a temporary visa issued for a short period of stay and are not meant for work in the US.

Q: My stay is only for three weeks. Should I still buy a visitors insurance plan?

The length of your stay does not matter when it comes to deciding whether to purchase a visitors insurance plan. Visitors insurance could save you from high medical costs if you were to get unexpectedly sick or injured while in the U.S. Insubuy is a reputable broker for a wide variety of visitors insurance plans for a wide variety of needs.

Q: What if I overstay on my tourist visa?

A: Serious immigration action will be taken against you if you exceed the duration of stay permitted by officials.

Q: How can I avoid overstay in the U.S.?

To avoid overstaying, you can do the following things before your visa expires:

Q: I am from New Zealand and do not require a visa to travel to the U.S. Is that correct?

A: There are certain countries that enjoy visa-free status. New Zealand is one of them. You can stay in the U.S. without a visa for up to 90 days. However, you will need to apply for approval from the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) before your visit.

Q: Can I do casual or part-time work on my visitor visa?

A: You cannot work part-time on a visitor visa. You must have an approved work visa (such as H-1 visa) petition prior to your visit.

Tips for You After You Land in the U.S.

  1. Match your watch to the current time in the U.S.
  2. The continental U.S. has four different time zones. Remember to match the time on your watch to the current time in the place you have landed in the U.S.
  1. Do not forget to collect your baggage
  2. The excitement of visiting the U.S. for the first time might be a lot to handle. Do remember to count and collect all your bags after landing to avoid any loss of baggage.
  1. Cooperate with airport officials
  2. The main aim of the U.S. security officials is to ensure that visitors are taking a legal route to enter the country. Cooperate with them and answer their questions calmly to avoid any hassle.
  1. Keep your documents handy
  2. Visas, passports, customs declaration forms, insurance papers, and other related documents must be handy at all times. You might be asked to present the travel documents at any time at the airport. It is good to have the documents consolidated in one place.
  1. Carry legal proof of custody of a minor travelling with you
  2. If you are a single parent, grandparent, or guardian travelling with a child under the age of 18, then it is recommended that you carry legal proof of custody or a notarized letter. The letter states that the parents of the child authorize you to accompany their child. Keep this letter handy. You may or may not be asked to present this letter by the authorities.

There are many officials at the airport to help you out. It is good to follow their procedure without violating the rules to make a smooth entry to the U.S. Have a happy stay!

Visitors Insurance

Get Quotes

For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call 1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400

Buying from US vs Abroad

Read Article

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400