The Non-Resident Indian (NRI) status is hugely important from a taxation perspective. Because taxation is an evolving body of rules and regulations the definition of NRI is also prone to changes. Find out whether you qualify as an NRI or not, here.
Note: For the sake of clarity in this article, the term “NRI” refers to both OCI cardholders and NRIs proper. Also, be aware that an OCI Cardholder is not eligible to apply for an Aadhaar Card unless he is in India for 182 days within a financial year, upon which he establishes himself as an Indian resident for that financial year.
The IT Department of India makes it compulsory to link PAN with Aadhaar. Not adhering to the rule can make your PAN card defunct.
How to Link Aadhaar to PAN?
It is quite simple to link the Aadhaar with the PAN Card. Follow these steps:
- Visit this website and click on the “Aadhaar PAN Linking” button/option under “Quick Links.”
- Choose the first option under the dropdown menu, which will lead you to a new window.
- Fill in Aadhaar and PAN Card details. Fill the captcha or request an OTP and click on the “Link Aadhaar button.”
Type UIDPAN (single space) <Aadhaar number here> (single space) <PAN number> in the text body. Send this text message to 567678 or 56161.
Please make sure the details match your documents so that it doesn’t cause problems later.
Rectifying an Error Made While Filling Out the Form
Linking Aadhaar with PAN will not be possible if there are any spelling errors. Rectify the errors to have the two cards linked successfully.
You can also fill out a printable form and mail it to the NSDL office.
If you misspell your name in the PAN card, follow these steps for the offline method:
- Visit the NSDL link above.
- Download Form 49AA and copy down your exact personal details.
- Scroll down the form to find the list of documents you need to provide and a set of detailed instructions.
- Affix a recent passport-sized photograph of yourself.
- Tick the boxes on the left margin where you made the corrections.
Mail the form with the documents to:
The Income Tax Pan Services Unit,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No- 341,
Survey No- 997/8,
Model Colony (Near Deep Bungalow Chowk),
If you prefer e-filing, then visit the NSDL website to update your PAN details online. This site will also provide you answers to any queries you might have.
If the name error is in the Aadhaar card, then follow these steps-
- Go to the UIDAI website and enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and the captcha.
- Enter the OTP after generation and click on the submit button.
- Choose the fields that had errors and update them.
- Upload scanned copies of supporting documents as proof.
- Following this, generate an Update Request Number (URN).
- You can easily make a printout of your Aadhaar card after the update.
The same process as the offline method for the PAN card applies to the Aadhaar card. You may download the form, fill it out, and bring the documents to any Aadhaar enrollment center near you. Visiting the nearby Aadhaar enrollment center without the form is also all right. The authorities will do their part once they verify the documents.
How to check if PAN and Aadhaar are linked?
Go to the website of the IT department and enter your PAN card number followed by your Aadhaar card number. Click on the button below the two boxes of PAN and Aadhaar details to view the status.
What happens if they are not linked?
Your PAN will become inoperative if not linked to your Aadhaar card.
In case you enter your PAN card details for a tax return, it will show as invalid. But, any transactions conducted before the inoperative phase will remain valid.
Common FAQs Related to Linking of PAN and Aadhaar
We hope we were successful in clearing your doubts regarding the linking. Now that you are all set, read on if you have any lingering doubts.
Are there any areas where Aadhaar and PAN linking gets a waiver?
If you are a resident of Jammu and Kashmir, Meghalaya, or Assam you do not need to link the cards. Also, senior citizens who are 80+ are exempt from the requirement.
I don’t possess an Aadhaar Card. Can I still file my tax return?
The Aadhaar Card is only issued to Indian residents. As an NRI, you do not need Aadhaar unless you plan to stay in India. As an NRI, you can easily e-file tax returns without Aadhaar.
My name on PAN and Aadhaar is different, what should I do?
Your name on both cards has to be the same. Consider changing either of the two. A mismatch in names will keep delaying the linking process.
Do I need to submit documents for linking?
You do not have to submit any documents for just the linking of the Aadhaar and PAN cards that can be done online. If there are errors in either card, you need to furnish documents to make the changes.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?