Travel to India
DutyFree Allowance Rules
Prohibited and Restricted Goods to/from India
Certain goods are prohibited (banned) or restricted (subject to certain conditions) for import and/or export. These are goods of social, health, environment, wild life and security concerns. There is no complete and exhaustive list of all the goods, some of them are listed below:
- Narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances
- Pornographic and obscene material
- Counterfeit and pirated goods and goods infringing any of the legally enforceable intellectual property rights
- Aero models (such as remote controlled toy helicopters) that operate on high radio bandwidths because of their possible interference with the communication networks of security agencies.
- Indian coins which are covered by the Antique and Art Treasure Act, 1972.
- Maps and literature where Indian external boundaries have been shown incorrectly, in view of Government of India.
- Chemicals mentioned in Schedule 1 to the Chemical Weapons Convention of U.N. 1993.
- Wild life products
- Human skeleton
- Specified sea-shells
- Beef, tallow, fat/oil of animal origin
- Exotic birds except a few specified ones
- Wild animals, their parts and products
- Specified Live birds and animals
- Firearms and ammunition
- Live birds and animals including pets
- Plants and their produce e.g. fruits, seeds
- Endangered species of plants and animals, whether live or dead.
- Any goods for commercial purpose: for profit, gain or commercial usage.
- Radio transmitters not approved for normal usage
- Gold and Silver, other than ornaments (for import only)
- Currency in excess of prescribed limits
- Telephone and telephony equipments of restricted frequencies
- Medicines and drugs
- Certain Animals - Camel, Horses, Cattle
- Semi processed hides and skins
- Silk worms, silk worm seeds and cocoons
- Family Planning Devices (NOC from Ministry of Health Required)
- Vintage products, replicas of antiques or weapons
- Sand and soil
- Whole human blood plasma and certain products derived from human blood
- Sandal-wood (except handicraft products & oil)