Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint submission - i-864W and RFE question

Im new here, hope my post is ok!

I'm a US citizen seeking citizenship for my minor adopted daughter. I filed a i-130 and i-485 in Sep 2017. The i-130 was approved and I just got an RFE for the i-485 that makes NO sense. I think there's actually a typo on it PLUS it's hella confusing.

I submitted a i-864 with my initial application but I THINK I made a mistake, and was supposed to submit the i-864W instead (a waiver) because "The intending immigrant is a child who will become a U.S. citizen upon entry under INA section 320. Under INA section 320, some children become U.S. citizens immediately upon admission to the United States or adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident (LPR)."

Here's what the RFE says, can ANYONE help me make sense of this (specifc questions below):

Demonstrating eligibility at the time of filing:
    Form I-864 Joint Sponsor Needed
    Based on the documents submitted with Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, for the petitioner/sponsor and household member(s), the income did not meet 125% of the poverty guideline for the petitioner/sponsor's household size.

Submit evidence of assets that meet the standards listed below or obtain a joint sponsor. **Assets must equal the difference between the petitioner/sponsor's household size and 125% of the poverty guidelines***[sic]

*Assets must equal the difference for applicants filing as orphans (I can find no info on if she qualifies as an orphan. She IS an orphan but we did not use the "orphan" process to immigrate)
    * Assets must equal three times the difference for a spouse or child of a US citizen
    etc
    THEN

Form I-864W Intending Immigrant's Affidavit of Support Exemption (NOTE I DID NOT FILE THIS!)
    You have submitted a Form I-864W, Intending Immigrant's Affidavit of Support Exemption, for the applicant. The I-864 has one of the following deficiencies:
    * Not signed by applicant
    * Missing pages
    * I-864W revision is no longer valid.

Questions
    (1) On the I-864 part from searching forums, it appears that most people's say: "Assets must equal the stated difference between the joint sponsor's household income and 125% of the poverty guideline". Is mine just a random typo?!

(2) Is the "difference" between the income and the poverty guideline - what was submitted on the original docs, or my income now?

(3)Is the stuff about the I-864W meaning that I failed to submit that (why couldnt they just say that?!

(4) If I need a I-864W (which I didnt submit) then I should NOT need to submit asset info for the I-864 or a joint sponsor - right??

(5) If I DID go ahead and submit asset info just to cover my butt, it didnt ask for job/income info. I have a job that gets me almost 3x the 125% poverty line but they didnt ask for income. I do NOT have assets alone that equal that. An officer on the phone told me that I had to average my income for the past 3 years, in which case I would NOT get close (I was a volunteer in my daughters country). I cant tell what my assets need to equal. Is it the orphan amount?

(6) If I got a joint sponsor, are they only liable until my daughter beocmes a citizen (which will be immediatley when this is approved)?

I saw on one post these are generated by computer algorithms, which could make sense of it - if I submitted the wrong form. But do people not even look these over at this stage?!!
    Thank you so much!!
    Wendee

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X