Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child passport stamped F-1 by customs but no visa - what next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child passport stamped F-1 by customs but no visa - what next?

My daughter came to the US in 2010. The private school she would have been attending that Fall issued her an I-20 and international student admissions officer told us that she didnt need a visa because she was a British citizen. The officer stated that she when she re-entered the US she needs to show her I-20 form. My daughter left the US for the summer and returned in the Fall with just her I-20 form and her valid passport. However when she arrived at the airport in Texas - Immigration pulled her aside and after she told them what the school officer had told her about her entering the country - the Immigration officer stamped my daughter's passport and I-94 form "F-1". Also in her passport - the Immigration officer wrote "I-193 processed".

She has graduated from high school now and wants to return at a later date to attend college. Will she have any problems re-entering the US? Will she need to apply for a student visa to go to college.

My husband/her stepfather is a US citizen and plan to apply for her to get a green card. Should she remain in the US until the application is made and receives travel permission? Or can she leave and we apply while she is out of the US? What would be the best route ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X