Sponsoring parents GC: Birth Certificate different from passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsoring parents GC: Birth Certificate different from passport

(Names have been changed for privacy reasons)
    Hello, I am a US Citizen, in the process of sponsoring my father for a US greencard for which I need either:

1. His birth certificate that would need to match his passport.
    or
    2. An NABC (Non availability of birth certificate) along with affidavits from 2 people stating that they were aware of his birth and birthplace.

In anticipation of getting the NABC, I got 2 affidavits done by my uncle and aunt, so that we could have proceeded with option 2 incase we couldn't get his birth certificate.

It so happens that my father's friend in Mangalore was able to get a birth certificate after quite a long process but these are the problems we are running into:

1. Birthplace is shown as MooduThonse also known as Kallianpur, in the district of Udupi, Karnataka State. This does not match the passport which shows Mangalore, Karnataka as birthplace. His very first passport did show Kallianpur as birthplace but somehow all the following ones have been switched to Mangalore, Karnataka.

2. First and Middle name have been switched. Birth certificate shows 'Michael George' whereas passport shows ' George Michael'.

We have been advised that to correct the name switch, the court procedure would be time consuming and expensive and would also need my father to travel to Udupi and personally swear before a judge what his correct name is, after which the court would order the District office to change the birth certificate. All of this is complicated given my father's health.

Since all of this is just so that I can move forward with my father's green card process., my question is: would it solve matters, if my father came up with an affidavit to show to the US consulate? This would supplement the other 2 affidavits from my uncle and aunt. That affidavit from my father would say something like he is indeed George Michael, born in Mooduthonse also known as Kallianpur and that his passport shows Mangalore but all those towns are in the same general area.

Not sure what to do next. Any suggestions are appreciated.​

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X