Advance parole lost while overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advance parole lost while overseas

I am an American citizen and I applied for my wife's adjustment of status after we got married. After she did her Biometrics she received her Employment Authorization card and I-512 Advance Parole (Travel Document to be readmitted into the US).
    Yesterday we landed in Italy and at the airport my wife lost her handbag with her Advance Parole in it. We have no document right now for her to be able
    to re enter the US, beside of her Italian Passport. We have only 7 days left since our flight back to New York is in 7 days. WHAT SHOULD WE DO? Can anybody give us any suggestions/help?
    Will the US embassy in Italy reissue a travel document for my wife?

THANK YOU!

Interesting situation. Was your wife a LPR - she would need to apply for a "boarding foil" at the nearest US embassy. You can read about boarding foils (the US embassy site for Italy doesn't have this information available - sigh)

Honestly, I don't know if her status would qualify for a boarding foil - she's "nothing" right now. And I wouldn't travel back through ESTA either. I would call AND email the US embassy -

Quid pro quo - once you find out what you're supposed to do - please let everyone here know. We can use the knowledge for future, similar events.

Comment

Thank you

I apologize for the delay...

You were right, all we needed was a boarding foil for my wife. We called the American embassy and emailed them as well. We were able to get an appointment for the next day and the embassy issued my wife a boarding foil. We flew back to New York and at JFK airport my wife was asked to go to a back office where she was questioned by an officer. She explained her situation and they let her in with no problems.

Thank you so much for the suggestion, you saved us back in 2012 =).

Comment

Urgent question about your lost AP card experience

Originally posted by Gawetra View Post
        I apologize for the delay...

You were right, all we needed was a boarding foil for my wife. We called the American embassy and emailed them as well. We were able to get an appointment for the next day and the embassy issued my wife a boarding foil. We flew back to New York and at JFK airport my wife was asked to go to a back office where she was questioned by an officer. She explained her situation and they let her in with no problems.

Thank you so much for the suggestion, you saved us back in 2012 =).
        Hi Gawetra,

I am in desperate need of advice from you, as I am now in a similar situation (lost AP card, need to travel back in a few days).

Was your wife in middle of her green card application at the time (as it sounds like from your original post), or was she already an LPR with a green card when she lost the card? I tried contacting two nearby US embassies (in Seoul, South Korea and Tokyo, Japan), and both have told me that they cannot issue a boarding foil for me because I am not an LPR. If your wife was not an LPR, I could try suggesting that to them as an example and to talk to the embassy in Italy, so please let me know what your situation was like. I would really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by spark90 View Post
          Hi Gawetra,

I am in desperate need of advice from you, as I am now in a similar situation (lost AP card, need to travel back in a few days).

Was your wife in middle of her green card application at the time (as it sounds like from your original post), or was she already an LPR with a green card when she lost the card? I tried contacting two nearby US embassies (in Seoul, South Korea and Tokyo, Japan), and both have told me that they cannot issue a boarding foil for me because I am not an LPR. If your wife was not an LPR, I could try suggesting that to them as an example and to talk to the embassy in Italy, so please let me know what your situation was like. I would really appreciate it!
          Hi!
          My wife was NOT a LPR at the time. She applied for the Greencard but we were still waiting on receiving a reply. This is what I did: I called the American embassy (not the consulate) in Rome because we were in Italy. I told them that I am an American citizen and that my wife lost her employment card that would have allowed her back into the US. I also told them that she applied for the Green Card and that we were awaiting a reply. That's when they told us to stop by the next day and get the boarding foil.

Comment

Originally posted by Gawetra View Post
            Hi!
            My wife was NOT a LPR at the time. She applied for the Greencard but we were still waiting on receiving a reply. This is what I did: I called the American embassy (not the consulate) in Rome because we were in Italy. I told them that I am an American citizen and that my wife lost her employment card that would have allowed her back into the US. I also told them that she applied for the Green Card and that we were awaiting a reply. That's when they told us to stop by the next day and get the boarding foil.
            Thank you so much for responding! Unfortunately, the US Embassy in Tokyo and Seoul are still insisting that they cannot issue one, so my wife and I are going to try contacting the US Embassy in Rome to see if they might be able to help as they were able to help you. Thank you for responding so quickly.

Comment

Hi Gawetra,

Thank you so much for responding! Unfortunately, the US Embassy in Tokyo and Seoul are still insisting that they cannot issue one, so my wife and I are going to try contacting the US Embassy in Rome to see if they might be able to help as they were able to help you. Thank you for responding so quickly.
              I hope it works! But I would assume that you need to visit the embassy in the country in which you are located right now. If they don't want to issue the boarding foil, than what is their recommendation?

Comment

Hi I am in a similar situation as you. Were you able to get a boarding foil from Rome

Hi I am in a similar situation as you. Were you able to get a boarding foil from Rome?

Comment

According to this Q&A #23 (on page 10-11), they do not issue transportation letters for non-permanent residents. If you lose your Advance Parole, they say you can 1) try to contact the office that issued it to see if they will issue a replacement, or 2) apply for an Advance Parole for an individual outside the US (presumably by filing I-131 and checking the "I am outside the United States, and I am applying for an Advance Parole Document" box).

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X