Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Student from Canada to US

Hello,
    I recently became a Canadian citizen a few months ago and I am interested in studying in the US as an F1 student. The school I wish to go to is in California. I understand Canadian's do not need to apply for a visa but still have to provide documents and proof to the border officer when traveling to the U.S. to get an I-94.

I have some questions,

1) I don't really have any family ties in Canada except my 9-year-old son, who will be coming with me. I am worried this will be a deal-breaker.

2) If I do apply and get turned down at the border, does that impact my future travels or possible visa applications to the U.S?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Originally posted by KathyV View Post
    Hello, ........I understand Canadian's do not need to apply for a visa but still have to provide documents and proof to the border officer when traveling to the U.S. to get an I-94.

2) If I do apply and get turned down at the border, does that impact my future travels or possible visa applications to the U.S?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Canadians need a visa to work and/or study in the US. Contact the school which you want to attend and ask them what paperwork you need, as an international student.

2) Yes, you will have a denial on record.
    Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by NettieL View Post
      Canadians need a visa to work and/or study in the US.
      Canadian citizens do not need a US visa to enter the US on almost all types of nonimmigrant statuses. They simply travel to a US port of entry with their Canadian passport without needing any visa, and then present the documents relating to the status they need to enter (which other nationalities would use to get a visa).

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by NettieL View Post
        Canadians need a visa to work and/or study in the US. Contact the school which you want to attend and ask them what paperwork you need, as an international student.
        The only Canadian citizens who need a visa to enter the US are treaty trader/investors, government/diplomats, and international organization workers

Canadian students still need an I-20 though, so they do need to apply to US schools as an international student

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X