Boston AOS Journey: Application to Interview Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston AOS Journey: Application to Interview Experience

Hold tight, this is a looong post describing the journey from start to finish.

I have found great comfort and advice in posts from others about their AOS journey. It helped us put together a solid application, feel prepared for the types of questions asked during the interview and how best to organize our evidence for a successful experience. This is my way of paying the help forward. My spouse (USC) and I attended our green card interview on September 24, 2018 and were, with grace, approved on the spot.

Below is our timeline, the cover letters used in the application submission (concurrent filing of I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131, I-864, and I-693), and interview experience. Scroll to the bottom of this post to see the additional documents brought to the interview and read about our experience. It helps to front load the original application and organize it neatly.

Timeline
    Marriage based AOS. Boston FO.
    3/21 - Concurrent Filing I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131 (and I-864, I-693)
    3/29 - Fingerprint Fee accepted
    3/31 - Four NOA1's e-notice/text
    4/02 - Four NOA1's in the mail
    4/25 - Biometrics appt
    5/15 - AOS I-485 status changed to "Case is ready to be scheduled for interview'
    6/06 - Change of Address Completed
    8/20 - Interview was scheduled (9/24)
    9/8 - EAD/AP card delivered by mail
    9/24 - Interview @ Boston FO - Approved on the spot!

Useful links for tracking your case(s). Sign up for both, they update at different times with different notices sometimes!
    View case status online using your receipt number, which can be found on notices that you may have received from USCIS. Also, sign up for Case Status Online to: . Receive automatic case status updates by email or text message, . View your case history and upcoming case activities, . Check the status of multiple cases and inquiries that you may have submitted to USCIS

Individual Application Status Updates on DHS Case Tracker
    I-485 PD 3/21
    3/30 - Fingerprint fee was received
    3/30 - Case was received
    4/25 - Fingerprint review was completed
    5/5 - Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview
    8/20 - Interview was scheduled
    9/24 - New card is being produced
    9/25 - Case was approved
    9/27 - Card was mailed to me

I-130 PD 3/21
    3/30 - Case was received
    9/25 - Case was approved

I-765 PD 3/21
    3/30 - Case was received
    4/25 - Fingerprint review was completed
    8/24 - New card is being produced
    8/27 - Case was approved
    9/5 - Card was mailed to me

I-131 PD 3/21
    3/30 - Case was received
    9/27 - Case was approved

Application Cover Letters
    I ordered the application in the exact order below and have listed the contents of each application in the order they were placed in the stack too. I listed a letter explaining why my name was not on my birth certificate, and why I needed the advance parole combo card. Photographs were printed in a word doc with a caption listing the date, location, and names of individuals shown. I put a header 'Evidence of Bonafide Marriage of X and Y' in the header of the document. I included many photos with family at important events (graduations, weddings, both families together) as well as of frequent travel to visit one another during 3 years of a long distance relationship.

----------------Front Cover Letter of Application Package-------------------------------------------------
    (USC) & (Immigrant Spouse)
    (Current Shared Address)
    (City, State, Zip)

March 11, 2018

U.S. Department Of Homeland Security
    U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services
    P.O. Box 804625
    Chicago, IL 60680

Nature of Submission: Concurrent Filing of I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative), I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status), I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization), I-131 (Application for Travel Document).

Dear USCIS,

Please kindly find enclosed concurrent filing of forms: Concurrent Filing of
    ? I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative)
    ? I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status)
    ? I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization)
    ? I-131 (Application for Travel Document)

Contents include:

1. I-130 Petition for Alien Relative
    i. Money order in the amount of US$535.00
    ii. Form G-1145 E-Notification of application/petition acceptance
    iii. I-130 application and supporting evidence
    iv. Two passport photos of Applicant, (Petitioner Name)
    v. Two passport photos of Beneficiary, (Immigrant Spouse)

2. I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
    i. Two passport photos of Applicant, (Immigrant Spouse)
    ii. Money order in the amount of US$1,225.00
    iii. Form G-1145 E-Notification of application/petition acceptance
    iv. I-485 application and supporting evidence
    v. Sealed form I-693
    vi. Form I-864EZ and supporting evidence

3. I-765 Application for Employment Authorization
    iii. I-765 application and supporting evidence
    iv. Copy of passport page with valid non-immigrant H-1B visa

4. I-131 Application for Travel Document
    iii. 1-131 application and supporting evidence
    iv. Explanation of circumstances that warrant issue of an Advance Parole document

Thank you for your time and patience.

Kind regards,

(USC)
    (Immigrant Spouse)
    ----------------------I-130 Application Cover Letter--------------------------------------------------
    (Current Shared Address)
    (City, State, Zip)

March 11, 2018

U.S. Department Of Homeland Security
    P.O. Box 804625
    Chicago, IL 60680

Nature of Submission: I-130 Application

Dear USCIS,

Enclosed please find form I-130 and I-130A, Petition for Alien Relative, and the supporting documents. The petition is filed by (USC), a U.S. Citizen on behalf of his immediate relative (spouse), (Immigrant Spouse). Concurrently with this I-130 and I-130A, (Immigrant Spouse) and (USC) have filed forms I-485, I-765, I-131 and all the supporting documents.

Contents of I-130 package:
    1. Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
    2. Two passport-type photos of (USC).
    3. Two passport-type photos of (Immigrant Spouse).
    4. Money order in the amount of $535.00 for application fee.
    5. I-130 petition filed by (USC), petitioner on behalf of (Immigrant Spouse), beneficiary.
    6. Copy of (USC)?s Birth Certificate
    7. Copy of (USC)?s Passport
    8. Copy of (Immigrant Spouse)?s Birth certificate along with English translation and supporting affidavit.
    9. Certified copy Marriage Certificate.
    10. Evidence of bonafide marriage.
    a. Copy of apartment lease showing common residence from June 2015-Present
    b. Evidence of joint health insurance since 2017; Letter from, petitioner?s employer
    c. Original wedding invitation for ceremony held on XX/XX/ YYYY
    d. Copy of flight bookings from vacations together (3 trips)
    e. Copy of photographs from relationship 20XX-Present
    f. Copy of cards from family and friends

Thank you for your time and patience,

Kind regards,

(USC)
    (Immigrant Spouse)
    ---------------------------I-485 Application Cover Letter--------------------------------------------------
    (Current Shared Address)
    (City, State, Zip)

March 11, 2018

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
    P.O. Box 804625
    Chicago, IL 60680

Nature of Submission: I-485 Application

Dear USCIS,

Enclosed please find form I-485 and the supporting documents. The form is filed by (Immigrant Spouse), whose eligibility is based on her immediate relative (spouse), a U.S Citizen. Our marriage took place on [Month, Day Year] and an I-130 and I-130A, petition for alien relative, is filed concurrently with this I-485. Forms I-765, Application for Employment Authorization and I-131, Application for Travel Document are additionally included in this concurrent filing.

Contents of I-485 package:

2. Two passport-type photos of (Immigrant Spouse).
    3. Money order in the amount of $1125.00 for application fee (Form I-485 and Biometrics) made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security
    4. Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
    5. Copy of (Immigrant Spouse)?s passport and I-94.
    6. Copy and certified translation of (Immigrant Spouse)?s Birth Certificate.
    7. Copy of Marriage Certificate.
    8. Evidence of (Immigrant Spouse)?s continuous lawful status (I-797 notices, I-20s, EAD cards, Visas)
    9. Sealed Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status.
    10. Form I-864EZ, Affidavit of Support and supporting documents:
    I. 2016 Tax Return Transcript (for 1040) for (USC)
    II. 2015 Tax Return Transcript (for 1040A) for (USC)
    III. 2014 Tax Return Transcript (for 1040) for (USC)

Kind regards,

(USC)
    (Immigrant Spouse)

------------------------I-765 Application Cover Letter ----------------------------------------------------
    (Current Shared Address)
    (City, State, Zip)

March 11, 2018

P.O. Box 804625
    Chicago, IL 60680

Nature of Submission: I-765 Application

Dear USCIS,

Enclosed please find form I-765 and the supporting documents. The form is filed by (Immigrant Spouse), whose eligibility is based on family-based concurrent filing of I-130 and I-130A, petition for alien relative and I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. I-131, Application for Travel Document is additionally included in this concurrent filing.

Contents of I-765 package:

2. Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.
    3. Two passport-type photos of Applicant, (Immigrant Spouse).
    4. Copy of (Immigrant Spouse)?s passport page with valid non-immigrant H-1B visa
    5. Copy of (Immigrant Spouse)?s employment authorization history (I-797?s, EAD Cards)

Kind regards,

(USC)
    (Immigrant Spouse)

-----------------------I-131 Application Cover Letter ------------------------------------------------------

(Current Shared Address)
    (City, State, Zip)

March 11, 2018

P.O. Box 804625
    Chicago, IL 60680

Nature of Submission: I-131 Application

Dear USCIS,

Enclosed please find form I-131 and the supporting documents. The form is filed by (Immigrant Spouse), whose eligibility is based on family-based concurrent filing of I-130 and I-130A, petition for alien relative and I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. I-765, Application for Employment Authorization is additionally included in this concurrent filing.

Contents of I-131 package:

2. Two passport-type photos of Applicant, (Immigrant Spouse)
    3. Form I-131, Application for Travel Document
    4. Supporting documents for I-131
    5. Explanation of circumstances that warrant issue of an Advance Parole document

Kind regards,

(USC)
    (Immigrant Spouse)

------------------------I-765 Additional Explanation -----------------------------------------------------
    (Current Shared Address)
    (City, State, Zip)

March 11, 2018

P.O. Box 804625
    Chicago, IL 60680

Nature of Submission: Affidavit of Birth Registration

Dear USCIS,

This affidavit is submitted to clarify birth registration of the applicant, (Immigrant Spouse) because the official record of birth is incomplete, missing the applicants? name. It is religious custom in xxxxx to name the child after birth in a religious ceremony. Therefore the child?s name was not recorded in the original birth registration.

The relationship between the applicant, (Immigrant Spouse) and parents (Mother) and (Father) is evidenced as listed in the applicant?s passport. Please note that (Mother?s Name) can be spelled ? YYYY XX? and or ? YYYY ZZZ? when translated from the native language, xxxxxxx, into English.

Kind regards,

(USC)
    (Immigrant Spouse)

-------------------I-131 Explanation of Circumstances for Advance Parole------------------------------------
    (Current Shared Address)
    (City, State, Zip)

March 11, 2018

P.O. Box 804625
    Chicago, IL 60680

Nature of Submission: Explanation of circumstances for I-765 Application for Employment Authorization
    Document and I-131 Application for Travel Document

Dear USCIS,

The petitioner, (Immigrant Spouse), has authorized legal duration of stay until xx/xx/xx, holding lawful nonimmigrant status concerning an H-1B non-immigrant visa. Applications forms I-765, Application for Employment Authorization and I-131, Application for Travel Document are being submitted to limit disruption in continuous employment and retain flexibility of international travel in case of delays during processing of the concurrent I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, or other extenuating circumstances after xx/xx/xx while in pending status.

Kind regards,

(USC)
    (Immigrant Spouse)

Interview Documents
    We came well prepared to our interview with three binders of documents in plastic sleeves. Our relationship is very straightforward (first time marriage, no previous kids, clean immigration and criminal record, dated for 7 years before marriage, same age, met in college) so take this as a baseline of what to bring. We do not own property, a car, or have children together yet but it would definitely be good to provide that evidence if you do.
    It helped me to prepare them thinking in categories of what we needed to prove when putting together the binders. eg. Cohabitation, financial co-mingling, medical and legal shared responsibilities, proof of doing stuff together eg. vacations, travel, celebrations over the years. The heaviest weight I felt is given to proof of shared legal or financial responsibilities.

Binder 1. Full Copy of Original application including forms and evidence submitted (Didn't even open this at all)
    Binder 2. Civil documents, originals and copies (Birth certificates, proof of ID cards, passports, marriage certificate, all I-797's, EAD cards, I-20's from previous legal stay in the US)
    Binder 3. Additional evidence of bonafide marriage
    - Latest I-94 (and matching passport stamps in both passports)
    - Latest (2017) tax return transcript, filed jointly
    - Latest lease (we have moved since filing)
    - Bills from past year (Gas, Electric, Internet)
    - Bank statements from shared accounts

Evidence I took, but was not requested/needed to show
    - Letters from both employers of current employment status, salary, job title
    - Copies of shared health insurance cards
    - 401k beneficiaries, life insurance beneficiaries
    - Letters and mail received at new address, sent to us both
    - Photos of second wedding ceremony (religious, Hindu) in my country in 2018 (the officer took some of these photos)
    - Photos of honeymoon and family vacations in my country
    - A visual relationship timeline with photos, using ppt
    - Screenshots of our gmail conversations over 7+ years
    - Screenshots from ******** history
    - Joint travel (tickets, photos since filing)

Interview Experience at the Boston FO
    Our interview was scheduled at 11:30am. We showed up at 11am, went through security, and checked in at the reception for the immigration interview section by showing the interview notice. The entrance for the Boston FO is on the city hall side of the shorter of the two buildings.

We waited for 1.5hr. We were allowed to bring in our phones, no problem. It felt like waiting at an airport gate but pretty quiet.

IO called my name at 12:45. We shook his hand and he explained that my USC spouse would be questioned first, and should bring all our evidence with him. I waited in the waiting room for ~20min and was called in. The space was just a regular office with his computer, filing cabinet, desk phone, some decoration etc. He asked me to take an oath. The officer was friendly but serious and did not waste time chit chatting. He was very professional. He politely looked at the photos we brought, but didn't request many. Most of the time the IO looked at the forms on his desk, typing on his computer, and scanning documents I handed over to him. He checked things off as he went.

Only thing to catch me off guard - the questions were asked in a disarmingly conversational manner, but obviously out of chronological order. Make sure you can answer the questions succinctly, and in any order. The IO will take EVERY WORD into consideration. Listen carefully, and answer with a simple Yes/No. In case of open ended questions, keep the answer short and sweet.

Format of the interview
    1. USC spouse asked majority of the questions (~15min)
    2. I came into the room
    3. General Questions (5 min)
    4. Randomly asked questions from the I-485 yes/no section (5min)
    5. Told us we were approved for a conditional greencard and explained the process for filing I-751, removal of conditional status.

Questions Asked
    USC Spouse
    ? Full names (both), Birthdays (both)
    ? Have you been married before, has your wife?
    ? Do you or your wife have kids from previously?
    ? Have you applied to sponsor someone before?
    ? What was date of the wedding?
    ? Cell phone numbers (both)
    ? Location of birth (both)
    ? Where and when did we meet? Who introduced us?
    ? When did we first live together?
    ? Where do you work? Your wife?
    ? What were your degrees in? and your wife?
    ? Who lived where after college?
    ? When did you learn your spouse was a non-resident alien?
    ? How many bank accounts do you have?
    ? Who pays bills?
    ? What visa is your wife currently on?
    ? Any additional evidence you want to submit?

Immigrant Spouse
    ? ID Documents and legal stay (passport, driver?s license, EAD, I-94)
    ? Marriage certificate
    ? My full name, whether I changed it (I did not)?
    ? Current address?
    ? Do I like to travel, where do we travel. Internationally?
    ? Am I a resident of my home country (verify) ? yes
    ? Where did you first live together?
    ? Where did you meet and live after college? List the places
    ? Where do you work? What does the company do?
    ? Does your husband work?
    ? Have you ever been here on a J visa? (felt this was a trick question)
    ? How many times have you been married? (I got confused and said 3 because we had 3 ceremonies; civil, one in the US, one in my home country. IO looked confused and my husband chimed in to clarify I had only married him, 3 times. We all had a chuckle).
    ? Any kids on the horizon?
    ? When did you get married? Did your parents come to the wedding?
    ? Looked through our wedding album and scanned some photos ? mostly group photos of family

If you have made it to the end - Kudos! I hope this post helps others through what is a mentally taxing and stressful experience. Be prepared, dress professionally, and know where you've put what in the binders so you're not stressing to locate important pieces of evidence during the interview. Most importantly - relax, if your relationship is legitimate then you have nothing to worry about. Good luck!
    3/21 - Concurrent Filing I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131
    4/25 - Biometrics appt
    5/15 - AOS I-485 status changed to "Case is ready to be scheduled for interview'

This is awesome! Congratulations! And thank you for the detailed account of your experience. I am adding it to this thread of resources right now. https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...interview-tips

PS: You write well. Enjoyed reading that.

Comment

Hello and Congratulations!

I just today got the update that we are ready to schedule an interview and found your post very informative and helpful in as what to expect. We are also in the Boston Area. How long were you married before the interview and what kind of Visa did you come to the USA on?
      Congrats again,
      4-18-18 PD
      4-29-18 Finger Print fee was received
      9-26-18 I-765 and I-131 Approved
      10-02-18 Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office (sent to Lawyer) Day 167
      10-03-18 Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview Day 168
      10-05-18 your case has been scheduled for a interview. Day 170
      11-13-18 Interview
      11-13-18 New card being produced
      11-15-18 I130 and I485 Approved
      11-20-18 Card Mailed

Comment

Boston AOS Experience (VIA K1 Visa)

Hi Everyone! I am an April 2018 Boston based filer and wanted to share my AOS experience as well. I've been combing through this site especially in the last week while I've been waiting for my GC to see other people's timelines and dates and experiences. I wanted to include my experience and timeline, and some advice, as a way to pay it forward for all everyone's help as well. (cross posted in April 2018 filers)

My Timeline:

Marriage based AOS via K1 Visa - Boston FO
        4/23/2018 - PD (concurrent filing of I-485, I-765)
        4/28/2018 - Received NOA for Both Cases
        5/4/2018 - Received Notice of Biometrics Date
        5/17 - Biometrics Appointment
        8/13 - AOS Case Ready to be Schedule for Interview
        8/22 - AOS Interview Scheduled
        8/27 - AOS Notice of Interview Date Received in Mail (for 9/26)
        9/05 - EAD Card in Production & Date NOA for EAD was mailed
        9/07 - EAD Card Mailed from Missouri
        9/10 - EAD Card picked up by USPS from Missouri with Tracking # provided
        9/12 - EAD Card Delivery Date
        9/12 - SSN Delivery In hand
        9/26 - Interview and Recommended for Approval on the Spot. i485 Status Changed to "Card In Production"
        9/28 - Update to "Green Card Mailed to Me"'
        9/29 - GC NOA Received
        10/1 - Update to "USPS Picked Up Card", Tracking # Provided
        10/3 - Green Card in Hand!

Change of Address
        If you move while your case is pending, USCIS asks that you update your mailing address within 10 days of your move. My husband and I moved to our new home on 09/01, so I updated my address on USCIS site on 09/03, and set up mail forwarding with USPS prior to moving as well. USCIS can take weeks to acknowledge your change of address, which caused big problems for me receiving my EAD card.

Below is my timeline for EAD:
        9/03 - Submitted Change of Address Form Online
        9/05 - EAD Card in Production & Date NOA for EAD was mailed
        9/07 - EAD Card Mailed from MO & SS Card Mailed
        9/10 - EAD Card picked up by USPS from MO with Tracking # provided
        9/12 - EAD Card Scheduled Delivery Date - Did Not Arrive
        9/12 - SSN Delivery In hand
        9/14 - Change of Address Confirmed with USCIS
        9/19 - Finally Spoke to Someone at USPS who confirmed that my card had been returned to sender in MO, as the USPS does not forward government issued mail . Called NBC in MO and advised them that EAD card being sent back to them, told me to call back when tracking showed it had arrived in MO
        9/25 - EAD card arrived back to USCIS NBC in MO (confirmed by USPS tracking & on egov site). Called to file a request to have my EAD resent to new address, and was told my case would be looked at in 15-30 days for processing. Could take 30-90 days to receive it back.

I changed my address on the USCIS site 2 days before my EAD card was put into production, and had never received any update on my card before so I had no idea that it was approved and ready to be sent to me at the time of my address change. I also did not know that USPS cannot forward government issued mail. Important to keep in mind. I should have received it on 9/12, and I still don't have it. Thankfully my AOS interview was last week and I received my GC in hand today, or else I would be worried about when I would be receiving the EAD card back. Important to keep in mind if you really need to work and you have no update on what your I-485 status is. Overall if you move while your application is pending, it's kind of a pain in the butt because you have half your documents from the beginning that say one address, and the other documents after you move say another thing. Just be sure to bring many many pieces of proof of your new address to the AOS interview so you cover your bases.

Interview
        My interview was on 09/26 in Boston, and I arrived and provided my Interview Notice form. IO called us in 5 minutes before the scheduled interview. She took both my husband (USC) and I in to her office, and was professional and friendly. We provided photo identification, and she took my photo and fingerprinted me. She went through the I-485 form that I had submitted in April, and ran through all the yes/no questions. We changed the address on the i485 form as well to our new address. She asked if we had any other evidence we'd like to submit and I provided photographs from our relationship throughout the years (including with each other's friends and family), our lease for our new apartment, signed contract for our wedding venue and date, signed contract for our wedding photographer, our car insurance that has our new address and both of our names on it, health insurance with both of our names on it, and printouts of plane and cruise tickets that we had been on together. For photographs, I took screenshots of pictures on ******** that have the time and date stamp on it, and she commented on how she thought that was a good idea to show the date/year. She asked how we met and when. She asked me why we decided to live in the US. She mentioned how she needed one more piece of evidence that showed our new address that had both of our names on it, however I provided my printout for my change of address that I had submitted to USCIS earlier this month with confirmation number and saying that we had just moved so we are still changing things over. She seemed satisfied after we provided the confirmation number for the address change, and she also seemed understanding when we mentioned how I still haven't received my EAD card so I was having trouble opening a bank account and getting a US driver's license. I also showed her my SS card showing that it was not valid without the EAD card. I had 2 pieces of proof of our shared address (car insurance and lease), however in hindsight I would have brought several more as I very nearly didn't get approved and would have received a RFE had I not provided my change of address confirmation and had the IO not been accommodating and understanding. It's not worth leaving it up to chance. At the end she congratulated me and said that she was going to recommend for approval. About 20 minutes after we left the interview, the status of my case was changed to "Card In Production". 1 week later, I received my GC in hand!

Keep in mind that because I entered into the US on a k1 Visa, I had already filed several rounds of paperwork, medical exam, and was interviewed at the US consulate in Montreal prior to entering the USA. My interview was likely more relaxed and straightforward since I had already been pretty vetted by USCIS, so keep that in mind when you're reading through my experience and comparing it with yours.

Case Tracking System
        The tracking system that worked for me the best and seemed to update the fastest was https://egov.uscis.gov. I created an account and added both of the receipt numbers that I had so I could track them simultaneously. I could also see the dates and history of everything that happened with each of my cases, so I would highly recommend that. I signed up for email and text notifications as well, and I noticed that text notifications seemed to deliver about 10-15 minutes faster for me. I have heard of some people using https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/, but for me that one didn't work so great and my status is still showing as interview is scheduled lol.

Also note that I never got any status updates on my USCIS account that my cases were approved. It went from "interview scheduled" to "card in production" and then eventually mailed out. I was receiving mail from the NBC, so I'm thinking maybe different offices have a different process. I remember feeling nervous after my interview that it must not be approved fully yet because I never received a status update on my account, even though it showed as GC card in production. I relaxed when I saw that the card had been mailed and then I received the NOA for the GC in the mail.

This process has taken about 1.5 years from when I applied for my k1 visa until now, and I am thrilled that it's done (for the time being, I know I'll have to remove conditions). Feel free to reach out with any questions and hang in there everyone! I know the wait is gruelling but the GC will come
        Marriage based AOS via K1 - Boston
        4/23/2018 - PD for I-485, I-765
        5/17 - Biometrics Appointment
        8/13 - AOS Ready to be Schedule for Interview
        8/22 - AOS Interview Scheduled
        9/05 - EAD Card in Production
        9/07 - EAD Card Mailed
        9/10 - EAD Card picked up by USPS (with tracking)
        9/12 - EAD Card Delivery Date
        9/26 - Interview & Approval on the spot. Card In Production
        9/28 - Green Card Mailed
        10/1 - GC card picked up by USPS (with tracking)
        10/3 - GC in Hand!

Comment

Congratulations! Almost there

Originally posted by bobm445 View Post
          Hello and Congratulations!

I just today got the update that we are ready to schedule an interview and found your post very informative and helpful in as what to expect. We are also in the Boston Area. How long were you married before the interview and what kind of Visa did you come to the USA on?
          Congrats again,
          Congratulations! You're almost to the finish line now. I'm so glad to be of help. We interviewed at the Federal building by city hall. The entrance is on the side of the shorter of the two buildings, from city hall plaza.

We got married Sept 1, 2018. But have been dating since June 2010 and living together for the past few years so had lots of evidence. I've been in the US for the last 10 years on F1, another F1 (grad school), OPT, OPT STEM Extension, and most recently, H1B visa.

Ps. We received notice of approval the same day as the interview, and over the next few days 'Card has been ordered', 'card is being produced', 'Card has been picked up by USCIS' etc. Got it in the mail exactly 1 week after the interview, on Oct 1st. It is in fact a greeny/red card.

Feel free to direct message me if you have any questions about the Boston FO or process. Good luck, you'll rock it!
          4/25 - Biometrics appt

Comment

Nice write up and congratulations

Originally posted by kkells View Post

Change of Address
            If you move while your case is pending, USCIS asks that you update your mailing address within 10 days of your move. My husband and I moved to our new home on 09/01, so I updated my address on USCIS site on 09/03, and set up mail forwarding with USPS prior to moving as well. USCIS can take weeks to acknowledge your change of address, which caused big problems for me receiving my EAD card.

I changed my address on the USCIS site 2 days before my EAD card was put into production, and had never received any update on my card before so I had no idea that it was approved and ready to be sent to me at the time of my address change. I also did not know that USPS cannot forward government issued mail. Important to keep in mind. I should have received it on 9/12, and I still don't have it. Thankfully my AOS interview was last week and I received my GC in hand today, or else I would be worried about when I would be receiving the EAD card back. Important to keep in mind if you really need to work and you have no update on what your I-485 status is. Overall if you move while your application is pending, it's kind of a pain in the butt because you have half your documents from the beginning that say one address, and the other documents after you move say another thing. Just be sure to bring many many pieces of proof of your new address to the AOS interview so you cover your bases.

Interview
            Keep in mind that because I entered into the US on a k1 Visa, I had already filed several rounds of paperwork, medical exam, and was interviewed at the US consulate in Montreal prior to entering the USA. My interview was likely more relaxed and straightforward since I had already been pretty vetted by USCIS, so keep that in mind when you're reading through my experience and comparing it with yours.
            Phew, good job bringing the extra proof of cohabitation. You make an excellent point about being diligent when changing addresses. We also moved while the application was pending, in June 2018. I made sure to update the mailing address with USCIS and put in a call to USCIS to double check before EAD was in production. The acknowledgement from USCIS in the case tracker took a few weeks. We also brought USPS change of address confirmation forms for both of us to the interview, along with our new lease and mail address to us at the new address.

My friend also recently went through his interview at the Boston FO in the exact K1 situation as you and also was not separated or questioned as rigorously as us. It must be USCIS procedure, at least at the Boston FO, to separate couples who have yet to prove bonafide marriage from those on K1 visas who have already completed the process.

One note - The waiting room is rather large and IO's call out names from doors at all four corners of the room. Pay attention for the name of the immigrant spouse - it may well come from the opposite corner of the room and be difficult to hear!

Tip: Our appointment was at lunch time and we were starving after the interview as we waited a long while. Boston Public Market across the street is a good place to grab a snack or coffee before/after. Or a Cannoli at Maria's Pastry Shop in the North End. Yum.
            4/25 - Biometrics appt

Comment

I-485, Application to register permanent residence or adjust status

I-485, Application to register permanent residence or adjust status: Application filed and was received on the 7th of September, had already received receipts for the petitions. Biometric completed on 3rd of October but mail was already sent on 28th of September for request of initial evidence(I-485). I received it on the 4th of October and they requested for the petitioner/sponsor on form I-864, affidavit of support, must submit a complete Federal income tax return submitted to the IRS for the most recent tax year. We used a reasonable sponsor because my wife who is a U.S citizen filed her tax in 2017, 2016 was with her ex then 2015 under her mom, that was why we sorted to be sponsored even though we still added her 2017 tax documents.

I have two questions, first, should we still repackage her 2017 tax returns back to USCIS even though it was submitted with the application previously, second, my wife did her pregnancy ultra sound test on 4th of October and it was good, should I include the results when I would be mailing requested documents to USCIS? please any helpful contributions would be appreciated, we were given 87 days to submit the documents, thanks all!

Comment

This was a very helpful overview of letters, thank you very much!! I adapted them all and sent the package off to USCIS last week without any help of a lawyer. Let's hope it'll work out well . Btw, the I-130A is not listed as a bullet point in the application letter, which I think it should so people do not forget this form!

Comment

Thank you So much! for this cover letter and detailed information about AOS. I'm an F-1 student, married to my US citizen wife about to submit my AOS documents. How did you guys fit your long apartment leases inside the package?

Also, how did you guys assemble it? I-130, I-130A and supporting documents go in 1 envelope, and I485, I864, I693 and supporting documents go in 1 envelope and I765 and supporting documents go in another envelope and all of those go in 1 big package?

Please let me know if that's correct

Thank you!

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                    Just wanted to share where me and my wife is at with filing (Concurrently) I130& I130A, I485, i765, i131, we’re same sex couple. All the posts in this forum has helped us alot. We sent it off to Chicago lockbox on the 29/7, usps said it’s delivered 31/7. So we’re just anxiously awaiting hearing from them, which is so nerve wracking.

Comment

hope&patience this thread might help you with interview prep.

Comment

Originally posted by sf2019july View Post
                        hope&patience this thread might help you with interview prep.
                        sf2019july Thank you for guiding me to this page!
                        I got my notice today. Interview scheduled for Oct 23!
                        I hope the process starts moving for everyone!! Keep me updated on your case!
                        Married to: USC | B1/B2 visa | 2019
                        Jul 2: Concurrent filing - Chicago, IL
                        Jul 3: PD
                        Jul 12: Check cashed
                        Jul 15: 4 notices in mail Dated Jul 10)
                        Jul 19: Biometrics appt letter
                        Jul 31: Biometrics
                        Aug 2: Fingerprint review completed
                        Sep 5: Courtesy letter I-693
                        Sep 11: Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview
                        Sep 13: Interview was scheduled
                        Sep 16: USCIS interview notice
                        Oct 23: Interview (Case must be reviewed)
                        Oct 26: Card in production (Saturday)
                        Nov 1: Card in hand

Comment

Thank you guys for all of your help . I also came here on a k1 visa . We didn’t submit any evidence when we filed . We will be going for the interview in 2 weeks and that’s when we plan on giving them all our pictures and bank statements and birth certificates of our 2 babies . I hope not sending them pictures initially is not a problem. Oh , we sent marriage certificate

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X